cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router config for console modem access

librizzs
Level 1
Level 1

We're upgrading 2500 series routers with 2811's in several remote sites, and we have preferred modem access to be connected to the console port as opposed to AUX, in order to see boot-up and diagnostics we wouldn't otherwise see. Our only issue is that we aren't replacing the modems out there and some aren't connecting correctly. We obviously need AA turned on, and also be able to continue a session if the cable is moved to another device's console port (like the local switch.) If we were using the AUX port, I know autoconfigure discovery and other commands might fix this; but we'd like to keep the modem connected to the router console port. Are there any router commands I can use?

2 Replies 2

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

If I understand correctly these modems were connected on the Aux port of the 2500 & now you intent to connect then on the console port of the 2800, what vendor modems are in use?

The below doc has info on router console port configuration, we will need to configure the correct initialization string on the modem based on the modem vendor (the AT commands will change as per the description based on the modem vendor).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a00800941c9.shtml

Thanks, Mak

Do u know the steps to configure on the Dlink Vendor modems?

Thanks, Chenna