Views
Helpful
Replies

Router to modem

katab
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everone ,

I'm traying to connect router 2610 [ (IOS 12.2) with WIC 1T card] to an external modem , but the conn LED off , also i cann't change the WIC to work as async ?

plz help

5 Replies 5

skra
Level 1
Level 1

Try the command physical layer async!

By default cisco routers are configured for sync mode only, in order to hook up the external modem you can use this command

physical layer-async ( Means you are configuring this

port for async connection)

Regards

Chintan Upadhyay

CCNP

Gujarat State

E-mail: chintan_u@yahoo.com

Thanks ,

Sorry to answer you late , I was out of the country !

I tried to use phsyical layer-async but the IOS ( 12.0(28a) does not support such command , is it from the IOS or WIC it self ?

Best Regards

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I thought the WIC-1T did not support async, but then I found this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3129/products_tech_note09186a00800b0859.shtml

The last paragraph is quite cryptic: If your platform supports async, then use the physical-layer async command for async mode. Such an application is useful to connect an external modem to the router. Refer to the document 2 Port Async/Sync WAN Interface Card (WIC-2A/S) for an example. FWIW, I don't really understand that. I wonder what it means about "if your platform supports async"? I would have expected async to be a feature of the WIC, not of the platform. But maybe it is determined by the controller, which would be on he platform.

Here is the document it refers to:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/107/wic-2as.shtml

But that seems to be for a different WIC: the WIC-2A/S.

My guess is that the WIC-1T does not support async, and that the reference to "platform" in the WIC-1T document actually means the WIC-2A/S. Does anyone know differently?

I just tried setting a WIC-1T in a 2610 with 12.2 to async, and failed to do it:

Hurd#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Hurd(config)#int s0/0

Hurd(config-if)#phy?

% Unrecognized command

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi all,

Kevin thanks , I think you are right the WIC-1T does not support asyn , I will try to ask cisco about it.

Regards ,