cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SA520W SSLVPN for Remote Users Only 64kbps - Please Help!

propellabs
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup an SA520W and configured SSL-VPN for our small business.  Everything seemed to go smoothly and I tested SSL VPN by logging in and playing around a bit which seemed to be fine.  However, shortly after deployment I started getting complaints about it being much slower than our old VPN through the consumer grade router I just replaced.  I investigated and tested with IE8 and Chrome on Windows XP 32-bit with several different machines, and in all instances it did seem very slow indeed.  While looking around I noticed that the Task Manager under the Networking tab shows the SSL VPN connection as VirutalPassage at 64 Kbps.  Going into Network Connections shows VirtualPassage under the Dial-up heading with device name Virtual Passage SSLDrv Adapter.  Additional properties describe it as an ISDN channel.  I have attached an image of the Task Manager pane.

The router is running the latest firmware of 2.1.51.  It is connected via a static IP that does not require a login, to our dedicated 5 Mbit / 5 Mbit ethernet over copper link to our ISP.  We get great speeds and low latency through everything but SSL VPN connections.  I haven't done anything fancy so the router certificate is the factory default.  Currently we are using the existing 2 SSL VPN licenses that come with the router until we need more access, at which point I want to upgrade to the 25 user bundle.  However, I don't feel comfortable upgrading until I get this resolved, because 64kbps simply cannot work for us for a VPN solution.

Does anyone know how to configure the SSL VPN to not limit at 64kbps?  My engineers are making fun of me for bringing us back to dialup, and I have to agree with them!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

1 Reply 1

propellabs
Level 1
Level 1

I worked with Blake at Cisco Small Business Support (who is awesome, BTW) and it looks like having Split Tunnel Support enabled was what was making it so slow.  Our network setups is on 192.168.2.x, home users are on 192.168.0.x, and the VPN clients are on 192.168.251.x so I had enabled Split Tunnel Support and setup a Client Route for 192.168.2.0 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0.

I disabled Split Tunnel Support, and even though it still said 64kbps the link is going much, much faster!