cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SCOR 350-701 VPN encryption review question wrong?

sanchezeldorado
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In my certification book, Chapter 8 question 2 says:

You are hired to configure a site-to-site VPN between a Cisco FTD device and a Cisco
IOS-XE router. Which of the following encryption and hashing protocols will you
select for optimal security?

a. AES-192, SHA, Diffie-Hellman Group 21
b. IDEA, SHA, Diffie-Hellman Group 2
c. AES-192, SHA, Diffie-Hellman Group 5
d. AES-256, SHA, Diffie-Hellman Group 21

The book shows the answer as A. It's wrong isn't it? I can't find any reference for AES-192 being better. I know it wouldn't have the same processing load as AES-256, but I would think the stronger encryption is better. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@sanchezeldorado yes I'd agree answer D would be more secure.

The closest Cisco document regarding preferred ciphers is this link https://gblogs.cisco.com/uki/deep-dive-a-vpn-journey/ albeit it's referring to IKEv2 proposals, it states AES-CBC-256 would be preferred over 192.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

@sanchezeldorado yes I'd agree answer D would be more secure.

The closest Cisco document regarding preferred ciphers is this link https://gblogs.cisco.com/uki/deep-dive-a-vpn-journey/ albeit it's referring to IKEv2 proposals, it states AES-CBC-256 would be preferred over 192.

Thank you! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes AES-256 would be preferred over AES-192. Both FTD and IOS-XE support AES-256.

The book is a bit outdated. DH groups 16 or 20 would be preferred over 21.

The hashing algorithm should also specify what type of SHA (SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512 etc.).

mestasew1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks posting this question and the discussion. I am preparing for 350-701 too and about to post this question for the community but found out the same question posted .

I  confirmed answer D with 256 bit is more secured.  I might send feedback for Cisco press including other observations- in case they publish 2nd version of errata.