cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

time limits

ekeen
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me the best way to limit the time that someone uses or when the PC stays idle for a time fram that I can disconnect them? I have a Cisco 2600Xm that we use for a 1.800 toll free number and I want to limit people just dialing in and staying connected overnight. Any documention or websites would also help me out.

ITA

5 Replies 5

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Assuming you are connected to the Aux port on the Cisco 2600. You can use the following configuration. It will allow you to timeout the session. Upon timeout DTR will drop from the port and if the modem is setup correctly to respond to DTR, the call will drop.

line aux 0

password

script connection usr_courier

login

exec-timeout 300 <5 min limit>

modem InOut

modem autoconfigure type usr_courier

transport input all

stopbits 1

speed 115200

flowcontrol hardware

Good Luck....

Pciaccio,

Thanks for your help but just curious why should I do this at the Aux port and not telnet?

TIA

Eric

I am guessing that Phil was describing the Aux port because you talked about dial up access and he was assuming that you had a modem connected to the Aux port. I am assuming from your original post that you have a number of async interfaces configured to support the dial access.

You need to put the command on the place where the users are that you want to control. If you want to control telnet access then you configure the vty ports. If you want to control a modem on the Aux then you configure it on the Aux. And if you want to control users on Async interfaces then you need to configure Async interfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

Thanks for your reply. You are correct in assuming that I have a module with 16 async interfaces to support dial in access. And I understand the commands now that I need to apply to the Async interfaces for the users.

I'm new at dial up and with the Cisco 2600 and As5300 equipment. When I'm posting questions I forget to be very specific and over look smaller details.

Thanks again for clarification.

G Money
Level 1
Level 1

Under your Async or Group-Async interface

dialer idle-timeout xxx (value in seconds)