cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to connect w AnyConnect after upgrading from 4.7 to 4.9

bvj197222
Level 1
Level 1

We are running Cisco ASA ver 9.10(1) with AnyConnect 4.7.00136. I wanted to upgrade the AnyConnect-client from 4.7 to 9.1. I changed the disk0:/anyconnect-macos-4.7.00136-webdeploy-k9.pkg with 4.9.01095.pkg using the ASDM. After replacing the .pkg-files I am unable to connect to VPN with the 4.7.x-client. I expected that the client would upgrade automatically using the 4.9-pkg-file from the ASA. I get the Anyconnect login box, enter my username/password and receive the OTP. After typing the OTP the client says "Anyconnect was not able to establish connection to the specified secure gateway".

I tried switching networks, making sure ICS was turned off. Still no luck. No error-messages in the debugger on ASDM. I did a roll-back to 4.7 and it worked immediately.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I tried to connect, and used the DART (debugger) to collect logs after failed connection attemt to find out exactly what's going on. According to Cisco doc (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect48/administration/guide/b_AnyConnect_Administrator_Guide_4-8/deploy-anyconnect.html) there's no need for administrator privileges to install the upgrade;

To upgrade AnyConnect or install additional modules using web deploy (from ASA/ISE/Umbrella cloud with Downloader), you do not need administrative privileges.

The problem turned out to be a group policy on our side;

Time : 11:02:29
Type : Error
Source : acvpnui

Description : Function: CProcessApi::Launch
File: IPC\ProcessAPI.cpp
Line: 489
Invoked Function: CreateProcess
Return Code: 1260 (0x000004EC)
Description: This program is blocked by a group policy. Contact administrator for details.

Unable to spawn Application: "C:\Users\xxx~1\AppData\Local\Temp\385.tmp\vpndownloader.exe" "-ipc gc". 

Further investigation pointed us to Applocker, who blocked a .bat-file that's being run during the upgrade of the client;

%OSDRIVE%\USERS\***\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\{70DE1FAF-6E38-48D7-844C-7638807A6DDC}.BAT was prevented from running.

I am enclosing the relevant part of the debug-log for those interested, plus the config I had to use on the ASA to make it work. By having to images in the ASA the client won't upgrade as long as the client is using one of the available images. I'll talk to the windows admin to fix the group policy.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i know you tried some option, check some other information may help you ( also check on the debug logs on client side).

https://appuals.com/fix-anyconnect-was-not-able-to-establish-a-connection-to-the-specified-secure-gateway/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

It should auto-upgrade. Can you confirm that you see the 4.9 file in disk0.
Also, confirm that the asa config under webvpn changed the image to make
4.9 as the top of the list.

If you have access to asa, try the command debug webvpn anyconnect 127 to
see why its failing.

**** please remember to rate useful posts

I tried to connect, and used the DART (debugger) to collect logs after failed connection attemt to find out exactly what's going on. According to Cisco doc (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect48/administration/guide/b_AnyConnect_Administrator_Guide_4-8/deploy-anyconnect.html) there's no need for administrator privileges to install the upgrade;

To upgrade AnyConnect or install additional modules using web deploy (from ASA/ISE/Umbrella cloud with Downloader), you do not need administrative privileges.

The problem turned out to be a group policy on our side;

Time : 11:02:29
Type : Error
Source : acvpnui

Description : Function: CProcessApi::Launch
File: IPC\ProcessAPI.cpp
Line: 489
Invoked Function: CreateProcess
Return Code: 1260 (0x000004EC)
Description: This program is blocked by a group policy. Contact administrator for details.

Unable to spawn Application: "C:\Users\xxx~1\AppData\Local\Temp\385.tmp\vpndownloader.exe" "-ipc gc". 

Further investigation pointed us to Applocker, who blocked a .bat-file that's being run during the upgrade of the client;

%OSDRIVE%\USERS\***\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\{70DE1FAF-6E38-48D7-844C-7638807A6DDC}.BAT was prevented from running.

I am enclosing the relevant part of the debug-log for those interested, plus the config I had to use on the ASA to make it work. By having to images in the ASA the client won't upgrade as long as the client is using one of the available images. I'll talk to the windows admin to fix the group policy.