cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using ConfigMaker and VPN's

mstine
Level 1
Level 1

I found the Cisco ConfigMaker and fell in love. It is a great tool for network design.

However I have a design problem that it does not allow me to do. I wondered if there is a flaw in my existing network structure that may require changes.

Currently we have a Cisco 2500 router to the internet (On Serial0) with a small subnet (Subnet A) on the Ethernet0 port. Behind that we have a PPTP tunnel server allowing access to another secured subnet (Subnet B) behind it.

I wanted to use ConfigMaker to build my network design but I found that it will only create VPN connections to routers directly connected to the Internet (Or Corporate Network).

Is having a router that acts as just a VPN connection point that exists behind another router a poor choice of network design? It works well in our current network structure.

Note that this router would not route any data directly from one interface to the other. Instead it will only move tunneled traffic to Subnet B. However the ConfigMaker program will only allow me to design a firewall on routers that are connected directly to the internet.

Thanks

Mark N. Stine

1 Reply 1

k.poplitz
Level 3
Level 3

Talk to Cisco about it. They may be able to add that into a future release for you. You're right though, I see no way to do it and I'm running version 2.5(008). I think the design (as I understand it) is fine.