Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using VPN client and Windows XP (Home)

Not applicable

Two of our employees have Windows XP Home Edition and connect to the Internet using TWC Road Runner (Cable Modem). They have installed Cisco VPN client 3.5.1. The VPN client connects with no problem. They can ping the main file servers IP address on the company network and it responses.

They can not log onto the company domain and see other computers/resources (printers,etc). The company uses Windows NT 4.0 with DHCP enabled for the computers on the network.

Is it possible for them to log on to the comapny doamin?

How do they setup VPN client and Windows XP to do this?

Do they use the "Connect to VPN" that comes with Windows XP (Home Edition)?

6 Replies 6

lisa.hall
Level 2
Level 2

The cable company may be using NAT or blocking IPSEC for residential accounts. Use NAT transparency mode to get around either of these problems.

al-r-j
Level 1
Level 1

For NT and upwards, only computers with accounts in the domain can actually log into the domain. You can browse the the domain if the computer's workgroup matches your network domain name.

BruceD.Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure exactly where to direct you, but it's my understanding that XP Home version doesn't support logging into a Domain. There are some articles on Microsoft's web page that discuss this, and I would also suggest a Google search for something like XP Home Domain Login to see if you find a workaround there. I believe there are some. Hope this helps..

cjacinto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First you have to pass them the Wins server ip address appropriately under the group configuration on the 3000. Then if you want them to logon to the domain, either they logon to the machine itself with the same credentials as their domain credentials, and then connect via VPN, and the OS (ie XP) would send their cached credentials to the domain controller. If the credentials are right they are logged on to the domain, and are able to browse the shares (provided Wins is working) and map drives by name. For XP, you also have to create the corresponding computer account in the domain. The cached credentials, doesn't run logon scripts so if you want logon scripts to run when they log on, you have to use start before logon (an option on the properties section of the client), and it brings the vpn client as a service and connects the vpn prior to the main login screen on your PC, thus you are able to login to the domain via the VPN.

s-spangler
Level 1
Level 1

Were you able to correct your issue with VPN and Windows XP? Could you direct me where to find the fix? I am running XP Home Ed. and VPN 5000. I am connecting via ethernet hub and a Cisco 1600 router.

mklaphek
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried the settings under Windows Logon Properties (look under the options pull-down). Select Enable Start before Login.

This should help.