Views
Helpful
Replies

Viewing decrypted capture with Wireshark

GVI_02
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone,

I have a customer with who I am troubleshooting a S2S IKEV2 tunnel. He sent me a capture so I can take a look at the tunnel negotiation (debug isn't showing a an explicit reason for failure - Internal error, Unknown and the like) and we fixed a problem in the initial INIT messages. However now it fails at the AUTH message exchange. As that part of the communication is encrypted I asked him to send me a capture with the 'include-decrypted' option enabled, however when I load the file in Wireshark in still says the payload is encrypted. Is this a problem with Wireshark or something else ?

Thank you for the help in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, now I see what you mean (took some time ... ). I understand the "include-decrypted" option to be only valid for decrypted user-payload of IPsec and TLS connections. But you are looking at the IKE negotiation-traffic and that should not be handled by this option.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

This is how IKE/IPsec is designed to work. If you could see the decrypted traffic in Wireshark, it would actually be useless as a VPN.

In the SA_AUTH phase the traffic is already secured with the negotiated Diffie-Hellman secret. Here you find some more information on this exchange:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/ipsec-negotiation-ike-protocols/115936-understanding-ikev2-packet-exch-debug.html

Sound logical. But then what does the 'include-decrypted' option in the capture actually do, if not decrypt the entire packet?

That option is to capture the user-traffic that got decrypted by the firewall. When the ASA is the VPN-termination-point, it has the keys to decrypt the data and this data can be shown in the capture.

That's my point. The data is still shown as an encrypted payload when I view the capture, even though the 'include-decrypted' command was used.

Ah, now I see what you mean (took some time ... ). I understand the "include-decrypted" option to be only valid for decrypted user-payload of IPsec and TLS connections. But you are looking at the IKE negotiation-traffic and that should not be handled by this option.

Gotcha. Thank you. However is there a way to decrypt it in Wireshark. I know there is a decryption table, however it requires the SK_ei, SK_er,SK_ai, SK_ar values. I know they show in the debugs for some vendors like Palo alto. Is this possible on the ASA?