cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 3000 Concentrator Software Update

davidb
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently on Cisco Systems, Inc./VPN 3000 Concentrator Series Version 3.0.3.A Jun 07 2001 19:35:44

The current image file is vpn3005-3.0.3.A-3des.bin.

I noticed that there are 2 different downloads for the vpn3005: versions 4.1.7.P and 4.7.2.J and both are dated November 6. 2006. Which one should I download and install?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As you might know, Cisco did a full upgrade to it's VPN gear capabilities.

This added new features to the IOS Routers, PIX Firewalls (6.x to 7.x) and Concentrators (4.1.x to 4.7.x).

Concentrator 4.7.x has alot of benefits over 4.1.x, including SSL webVPN developments including the ultra cool Cisco Secure Desktop (you need to install this separately http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6742/prod_release_note09186a00805f9cb4.html)

Please note that 4.7.x is more hardware demanding, for a 3005 you need at least 64 MB. Check the link for release notes: http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/prod_release_note09186a00804ceedf.html

If this helped, please rate.

Regards,

Daniel

Is the memory on the 3005 upgradeable?

Yes, it is

Bruce Hill
Level 1
Level 1

I do realize this device is end of life.  I was wondering if i can still find the last software update they made for this device.  I would like to sunset this device in our organization but they won't let me.  Last update on the device is 2005 and was hoping I could locate the last one made for it.

I have looked on the Cisco site and do not find any way to download any software version for the VPN 3000 series VPN concentrator. And frankly as old as this product is I believe that any benefit of going from whatever version you are running to whatever the last version was would be pretty minimal. So if they insist that you continue to run the old one then run the old one. And continue to point out that their "secure" VPN would be much more secure if they transition to a more current and better protected product.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the response.  I haven't found anywhere to download either. I've been trying to get them to move off it but they won't budge and keep asking me to band aid the issue.  Just thought maybe they could pull the file out of an archive and let me have it.  I appreciate you taking the time to look.

There may be a copy in an archive but the chances of releasing a copy to you are just about zero.

It appears that your management subscribes to the theory of "if it aint broke then dont fix it". I do not know who you work for  and do not know what their tolerance for risk is. But I would suggest that running a security product that old, given the number of security vulnerabilities discovered in the last 12 years, represents something that is broken.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick