cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client 3.1.1 on WinsXP cannot find domain

nss
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently testing a VPN solution which is to be rolled out to remote users using XP Professional on laptops. We can successfully establish the VPN tunnel through our ISP - no problem. We can then sucessfully logon to the NT domain when using Wins2000. However the problem is that we cannot logon to the domain when using XP. The usual error of 'domain controller cannot be contacted etc...' appears. It seems to be an issue around WINS and name resolution. Has anyone experienced a similar problem ?

4 Replies 4

dennis
Level 1
Level 1

Can you ping anything on the other end of the VPN connection? What type of connection do you have to the Internet?

I am having a problem with a XP client using a DSL connenction and the DSL modem is an internal adapter (not a external modem connected to a ethernet adapter). I can establish a VPN connection but can not pass any traffic.

Yes - I can ping devices on the other end of the VPN. I'm connected to the Internet through standard built-in V.90 modem on the laptop. SO as far as I can see I can pass traffic but just cannot logon to the domain.... ???

shay-t
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem but with win2k also. I can ping the network and use all resources but don't seem to be able to log on.did you configure anything for the win2k logon ? (with start before logon)

Haven't worked on XP but a similar problem with w2k...make sure Cclient for MS Networks and File and Print Sharing is turned on on the DSL connection(That is if XP even has that)