cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client breaks PPTP connections.

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

In a Windows XP machine that had previously good PPTP connections configured, all PPTP connections fail after installing the Cisco VPN client (version 4.0.2). I read it would recover stopping the "Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service" system service but it didn't work in this case. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Thanks for your help.

5 Replies 5

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

To make the MS VPN client work on a machine on which the Cisco Client is installed, you need to diable the Cisco VPN client as well. For more information, you could refer to bug

jgmdean
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the exact same problem with 4.0.3 (C). Remove the CISCO client and the PPTP connectoids work again. Most irritating since I need both types to work.

I never had that problem with the v3.6Rel version, but did as soon as I upgraded to the v4.0.3d, which I need for co-existence with the nortel vpn client that I have to run as well.

if it weren't for the nortel client, I'd still be on v3.6, and no one at cisco has been able to address this problem.

-Jeff

Jeff,

I have no Nortel Issue, maybe I should try v3.6 if I can find a copy.

jgmdean
Level 1
Level 1

I have discovered a REALLY UGLY WORKAROUND:

This seems to prevent the CVPNC from breaking the libraries, DLL association or whatever else is causing the problem.

- De-install the CVPNC (settings and certificates will stay in the registry)

- Create and/or verify that the MS-PPTP connectoid is working

- Re-install the CVPNC

- Do Not Start a CVPNC session Yet!

- Connect using the MS-PPTP connectoid

- Start the CVPNC session

- Disconnect the MS-PPTP connectoid

- Marvel that your XP routing table survived. (cmd.exe: netstat -nr)

- start using the CVPNC connection.

In the future you will have to establish the MS-PPTP connectoid before the CVPNC connection, then disconnect it, every time you establish the CVPNC. If you don't do this the MS-PPTP will not work and you'll have to do the CVPNC de-install/re-install over again (2 reboots).

CISCO COULD YOU PLEASE LOOK AT THIS? It smells like a simple library loading order issue, and you're not winning any friends right now.