cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client code

greggm
Level 1
Level 1

I downloaded the latest Windows VPN Client software "vpnclient-win-msi-4.6.03.0021-k9.exe" off the Cisco Web site. I've tried to install it on two different machines running Windows XP. Since then my network adapters in those machines failed to work anymore until I uninstall the VPN client software. Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

4 Replies 4

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Did it throw any error message? If yes, what error? Does the client intstall sucessfully? As far as I know, this is the latest version available for XP. Any other thoughts?

It looks like it installed correctly. No error messages were seen but it crippled the machine's NIC card. I had to remove everything to get the network card to work again.

de0087496
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same experience with my IBM T41 running with Windows XP and IBM ebusiness client installation. I tried it with several cisco client versions ( 4.0.3 & 4.6 ) with the same result. Installation works fine but

it kills my network adapter, so I have to reinstall the cisco client to reactivate my network adapter. I assume that some IBM preinstalled SW is uncompatible with cisco client ( maybe AT&T dialer or Zone Labs FW ). If someone have the same problem and has a solution, I will interested in. I have see other IBM colleagues running cisco client without any problem.

For my own experience, AT&T client and Cisco's VPN client do not like each other. Some users may claim differently, but all depends on what version of the AT&T (aka MTS) you're using. I believe 5.0.9 is fairly stable. Any way, if you do not need the AT&T client, just remove it. Also, I have seen issues with the VPN client breaking ZLID (Zone Labs Integrity Desktop) and not the other way around; however, before installing the client, I'd suggest you to shudown ZLID. Finally, I have had issues with the VPN client blowing the TCP/IP stack but no the NICs themselves. So, if your problem is with the TCP/IP stack, you can always recreate the stack with the "netsh int ip reset reset.txt" command and then reboot. CAUTION:use the command at your own risk, for it can cause other problems.

I hope this helps.

Carlos T.