Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client from DMZ to Inside

SomeClown
Level 5
Level 5

Greetings,

For security purposes I have my wireless access point sitting in a separate VLAN on my switch, trunked to the virtual DMZ interface on my 506e. That part works great, and the wireless clients can get Internet access out through the outside network but not to the inside. This is perfect.

Now, I'd like certain wireless clients which exist in the DMZ to gain access to certain clients, services, etc. on the inside network. I had hoped to do this through VPN... forcing these wireless clients to initiate an IPSEC VPN from the DMZ to the inside. I already have the VPN set up and working from the outside to inside, but it doesn't work from the DMZ.

I'm wondering a couple of things:

(1) Is this even possible on the 506e?

(2) If so, how would I accomplish this?

(3) If not, what is the next best method to accomplish this while still maintaining security?

Thanks so much!

Oh, and config available on request, if needed.

4 Replies 4

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Add nonat config for the DMZ interface. For example, assume this configuration:

ip address inside 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip address dmz 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip local pool vpn_pool 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254

access-list split_tunnel permit ip 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

nat (inside) 0 access-list split_tunnel

Enter these commands:

access-list split_tunnel permit ip 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

nat (dmz) 0 access-list split_tunnel

I appreciate the reply, but after more fiddling I still haven't been able to make this work. The inbound VPN works fine (from anywhere), but I can't get VPN from within the DMZ to the INSIDE to work. I've included my edited config file in hopes that this might provide more insight into where the potential problem is.

pix506e has only 2 interface, i believe the dmz interface you mentioned is actually a vlan/logical interface.

there is a golden rule of pix denying traffic in and out the same interface, and i believe this the why the host from dmz can't communicate to inside host.

You are right about the two interfaces on the 506e, and I was wondering if that might be an issue. I was hoping that the virtual/logical interface would count in all ways as a de-facto separate interface.

So it sounds suspiciously like I may need to bump up to a different PIX then, if I want to accomplish my goals here.