Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client Internet Access fails with IOS router

Gerard Roy
Level 2
Level 2

All,

I have a 1711 router and a 4.03a VPN client. I can connect and build a tunnel to the 1711 and ping devices on the LAN thru the tunnel. I am unable to access the local LAN of the VPN client workstation even though I have enabled LAN access checkbox in the client. I am unable to access the internet while the VPN client is active. How do I enable split tunneling and allow local LAN access to printers and shares?

1 Reply 1

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you only want to enable encryption for the private subnet behind the router, and have all other traffic go out in the clear, do the following on your router:

access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

crypto isakmp client configuration group VPNclients

acl 100

This should also allow you to get to your local printers/hosts, since only traffic for the 192.168.1.0 network will be encrypted now.

FYI, if you want to do a non-split tunnel configuration in the future, but still want to be able to get to your local hosts, you need to use the include-local-lan option under the VPN group config on the router in addition to checking the box under the VPN client GUI.

See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t8/ftunity.htm for details.