Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN client will not open or connect

billz1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm running VPN Client 5.0.07.0440 on a Windows 7 Pro HP TouchSmart. The .pcf file is the same iI am using on many other machines om this same network.  When I double click the icon, the window opens up, but when I double click the connection entry, the dialog box says "connecting to security gateway at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for a few seconds and then says "Not connected."  I can't even get to the log-in screen I normally can. This is a new computer set-up. All updates are downloaded for windows. 

I've uninstalled the client and re-insatlled it re-booting after every step. I've pinged the address and had no problems. Running Avast, Malwarebytes as on other machines. No other security software. My VPN is enabled in my Network Connections. 

Here is my log file:

Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0440
Copyright (C) 1998-2010 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Client Type(s): Windows, WinNT
Running on: 6.1.7600 
Config file directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\

1      13:05:53.644  07/05/14  Sev=Warning/3 IKE/0xE3000057
The received HASH payload cannot be verified

2      13:05:53.644  07/05/14  Sev=Warning/2 IKE/0xE300007E
Hash verification failed... may be configured with invalid group password.

3      13:05:53.644  07/05/14  Sev=Warning/2 IKE/0xE300009B
Failed to authenticate peer (Navigator:915)

4      13:05:53.645  07/05/14  Sev=Warning/2 IKE/0xE30000A7
Unexpected SW error occurred while processing Aggressive Mode negotiator:(Navigator:2263)

I know the names and passwords are correct as they were copied from working files.

Hope this is posted to the right group.

Never had this problem after many machines. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you're getting the message "may be configured with invalid group password", perhaps your pcf file got corrupted. 

I'd recommend you compare the profile pcf file (stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\Profiles") on the non-working machine with one from a working setup.

They can be examined in a text editor or with a diff tool (like the freeware ExamDiff). The encrypted group password hashes (string in the file preceded by "enc_GroupPwd=") should match.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you're getting the message "may be configured with invalid group password", perhaps your pcf file got corrupted. 

I'd recommend you compare the profile pcf file (stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\Profiles") on the non-working machine with one from a working setup.

They can be examined in a text editor or with a diff tool (like the freeware ExamDiff). The encrypted group password hashes (string in the file preceded by "enc_GroupPwd=") should match.

SOLVED - Thank you soooo much. They were different. I don't know if it was corrupt or an old file, but it soled the problem. Can't thank you  enough. I spent hours on it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: