Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN disconnections, fixed by resetting the wifi connection

Hi

I am getting moderately frequent (about half a dozen times a day, seemingly random times) disconnections from our VPN, with very peculiar and specific behaviour. It's anyone's guess where the actual fault is, but I was hoping someone here might recognise what this particular combination signifies.

The symptoms are as follows:

* I start out happily connected to the VPN.

* I lose connection to the VPN (I know this happens slightly before because the thing I'm working on stops responding).

* The Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client notifies me, and attempts to reconnect.

* If I do nothing, it continually fails to reconnect, indefinitely. Obviously it times out at some point, but if I try again it still keeps failing.

* During this time, the signal strength on my wifi is shown as low (one bar). It is normally high, though watching it now it does go to one bar on occasion. I do not believe actual signal strength where I am is the actual issue, as it is not a problem on other devices in the room and as I said it is generally reported as high. Though a temporary interruption in the signal or similar would be a plausible trigger.

* If I go to "Network" in the client, and simply reselect the same wifi that I am already connected to, it is then immediately able to reconnect to the VPN.

As such, the disconnection can be resolved quite quickly, but unfortunately in the meantime it has kicked me out of other software that I'm running, and which takes a long time to re-establish and recover afterwards (even if I have remembered to save my work).

This isn't a thing that happened once, this is a pattern that I have observed as I said multiple times a day, and every time it's unable to reconnect until I re-select the wifi. For a while I was fixing it by connecting to another network and back again, but I recently realised I could cut that step short. As such, it seems to be that there's no real issue in the underlying signal, internet access or VPN itself. Instead, it seems like one piece of software somewhere (maybe Cisco's, maybe Windows, maybe the router, who knows) has got itself in a state of believing itself to be disconnected, and is unable to recover without some kind of reset.

Is this particular combination familiar to anyone? Does anyone understand these things enough to know what it indicates? Even just knowing which piece of software or equipment to blame would be a huge step forward.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

2 Replies 2

Who is the administrator of the VPN solution?  If it is you, great, then troubleshooting will be a bit easier.  If it is not you and you are the end user, this might become a little more difficult.

I have see similar behavior when the public IP of the VPN router / firewall is included in the split-tunnel configuration.  If you connect to AnyConnect and then in the AnyConnect window click on the "gear wheel" in the bottom left corner and thereafter go to the "Route Details" tab, do you see only 0.0.0.0/0 under secured routes or do you see specific subnets and / or IPs under secured routes?

Are the other endpoints in the same area as you also using this VPN solution?

If you have Diagnostics And Reporting Tool (DART) also installed along with AnyConnect?  If yes, the next time the issue occurs do the following:

1. note the time the issue occured.

2. run DART

3. upload the DART file for us to look though.

4. Aslo, try pinging an internal IP as well as a public IP (for example 8.8.8.8)

5. Also check DNS resolution, from command promt on your PC run nslookup amazon.com

Other things to check.

1. Check the event log on your PC to see if there are any error logs.  Note these errors and post them here.

2. try running only AnyConnect and no other programs (quit all other programs and / or use task manager to stop all unneeded processes.). If AnyConnect runs without a problem now then there is some type of conflict between AnyConnect and a program or process on your PC.  Start by re-enabling the the programs and processes one by one and give it time to fail.  Probably better to do this during the weekend or a day you are not busy. 

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Either it has to do with the VPN setup, or with the WiFi setup (by WiFi i mean any combination of WiFi itself, operating system and patches, NIC drivers, etc). To exclude the "WiFi", does the same happen if you connect from another network/location (be it wired or wireless) ?

Regards,

Cristian Matei.