Helpful
Replies

VPN Hang My Application

Adeelimtiaz
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Gurus,

Hope all will be fine.

I have one issue which is now at my nerves.

I have windows 7 Professional at my laptop. and Cisco VPN client 5.0.

When i connect my VPN my application get hanged. And when i disconnect my VPN (means when i return to my office LAN) my application works fine.

Thanks

Malik Adeel Imtiaz

6 Replies 6

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It would seem to me that you are using a VPN Client connection that is using Full Tunnel. Which means that when the VPN Client connection is active it will tunnel all traffic to the VPN connection.

You can confirm this by checking the VPN Client statistics/route section while its connected. If it lists "0.0.0.0" in the secured routes then that means you are using Full Tunnel VPN.

Naturally if you need to be able to access some resources/servers on your local LAN while connected to the VPN connection then you need changes on the VPN Client connection (or the party hosting the VPN client connection has to make changes to their configurations)

One obvious change would be to configure Split Tunnel VPN for you or exclude some networks from the VPN. But all these changes are done on the VPN device and from what I gather you are not managing the VPN device?

- Jouni

Dear JouniForss,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Let me foolow up yoru suggestion with our network team and then i will let you know thanks.

Thanks

Adeel Imtiaz

Dear Jouni,

Please see that my network guy reply when i email your suggestions.

a. In NetSol we use full tunnel under VPN, split Tunnel is not allowed, why it is split tunnel in vendor site?

please make sure it is full tunnel VPN as well  in vendor test environment.

b. In NetSol we use  Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client which version is 3.0.0629, please make sure it is same version in vendor test environment.

.c. In NetSol, we use the encryption and authentication like following, please make sure it is same in vendor test environment.

Dear Jouni, Your kind help is needed. They are not ready to do split tunneling.

Please help.

Best Regards

Malik Adeel Imtiaz

Hi,

I am not sure I follow,

If the case is that you both have to be connected to some site using this Full Tunnel VPN and at the same time you should be able to access some resources on the local site through the local network then this will be a problem.

When the Full Tunnel VPN is active, all traffic will be forwarded to the VPN connection towards the site you are connected to. This means you cannot access local network resources.

- Jouni

Dear Jouni,

Hope you are fine.

Currently we have performed following tests for NetSol VPN issue.

Scenario 1:- 

• •1)      Connected laptop on internet through USB Stick (Internet enabled).
  • •2)      Connect VPN Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0290 through laptop.
  • •3)      Telnet on Application server (EA Server) and Database server is open.
  • •4)      Connect NetSol application exe (production exe) with Netsol database and it connect successfully.

Scenario 2:- 

• •1)      Connected laptop on internet through USB Stick (Internet enabled).
  • •2)      Connect VPN Cisco Any Connect Secure Mobility Client Version 3.1.01065 through laptop.
  • •3)      Telnet on Application server (EA Server) and Database server is open.
  • •4)      Connect NetSol application exe (production exe) with Netsol database and it worked successfully.

Please see that we have tested the NetSol application EXE on both tunneling mode in VPN (Full and Split) and it is working fine with the Netsol Application.

But issue is our valuable client are facing connection issue with our application exe they are using Full Tunnling VPN.

Please suggest what should we do.

Regards

Malik Adeel Imtiaz

Hi,

I am not quite sure I understand the whole situation.

You mention above in both Scenario that everything works.

I am not sure what exactly is not working but as I originally said it seems to me that you might be using some resource/application that requires the local network connection and when you use the Full Tunnel VPN then the connections fail as they are forwarded to the VPN instead of your local network.

If the problem is the Full Tunnel VPN and you dont manage the VPN devices yourself then there is nobody else other than the people managing the VPN connection settings that can do something about this.

- Jouni