Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN on cisco7513-IOS 12.(7)

billjchan
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

The company have some considerations on implementation of VPN.We have 2 cisco7513 as backbone and 2 catalyst 2948 connected to backbone as access for customers.It is so called dual network design.We have similar topology in America,Japan and Taiwan.

My question is does 7513 support VPN? Which kind of solution,site-to-site or others? What is determined to choose MPLS or IPSec? Regards

3 Replies 3

mmellet
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, VPN images are available for and supported on the 7500 series. You can perform site-to-site without a problem.

I think that Cisco 7100 have no problem on vpn since it has Integrated Service Module (ISM) installed.The ISM provides hardware-based encryption for all interfaces installed in the router, including the IP Security Protocol (IPSec) tunneling services for the serial connection between the headquarters and business partner routers.

The problem is that 7500 has ISM or not.It can be configured Channel for site-to-site vpn.However how to configure encryption without ISM? Regards

v.kangin
Level 1
Level 1

MPLS as I understood is not possible to use across Internet. You need to have direct link between branches but if it exist is no reason to use MPLS. MPLS will helpful in case of VPN implementation across your own network even lines are shared for customers or other needs.

Sorry if I didn't understand your needs correctly.