cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN problems on WinXP pro

wyuenho
Level 1
Level 1

I am using Cisco's VPN client 3.5 rel k9. I can connect to the vpn server and do a lot of things but I just can't get my x-windows32 working. Things are fine in dial-up, but as soon as I connect using DSL, xwin just stops working. I am 100% sure it's either the VPN software or winXP's problem, as I did some experiments myself. Can anybody give me some clues as to how to solve this problem?

5 Replies 5

cjacinto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are connecting via DSL are you using some form of PPPoE software on the same PC the vpn client is loaded? If so try to adjust the max frame size on the PPPoE adapter software (it would be on its properties section) to 1400. Also pls clarify what is the PPPoE software being used, whether it is the native MS XP one or some other software.

i am using XP's build-in PPPoE program. my ISP is VerizonOnline DSL. the technicians over there told me that there might be some sort of conflict between cisco's vpn and XP's build-in PPPoE.

try:

RASPPPOE Version 0.96 at

http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/

neal.leslie
Level 1
Level 1

So, you can get authenticated to VPN? We did have a user who had XP and was having problems authenticating. You can make sure that XP is not running a firewall, cause XP comes with it's own firewall. Also, you can make sure that enable access control is checked in network settings. I'm not exactly sure the nature of your problem from what you wrote.

Anyway, hope this was of some help.

BruceD.Brown
Level 1
Level 1

I think you're on the right track.

Now that the Cisco VPN Client comes with firewall functionality, you may want to check that the "Stateful Firewall (Always On)" selection on the VPN client is not checked. To verify (with the tunnel up), right click on the tool tray icon for the Cisco VPN Client, and you will see the fourth line down, Stateful Firewall (Always On). If this is checked, uncheck it, and give it a try.

If this fixes your problem, do some reading on how this "Always On" firewall functions. What I found was that the pushed policy (from the concentrator) functions separately from this "Stateful Firewall". It's almost like they are two different products that function independently.

When this item is checked, all the pushed policies from the concentrator are ignored, and all inbound packets are blocked from any port that isn't involved in a conversation. There is I believe one exception to this rule, DHCP, which is permitted to get through.

For example all web traffic will work, because it's part of the conversation, and is on established ports. On the other hand, X windows and FTP initiate conversations on one port, and data comes back to the client on another port (eg: ftp control and data ports). Post an update when you get the opportunity. I hope this helps... Bruce