cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Question

abruso
Level 1
Level 1

We have a PIX 515E handling VPN connections from telecommuters (PPTP). We are about to set up another office location which will have another PIX 515E. We want to create a PIX-to-PIX intranet VPN tunnel between the two PIX's.

Now for the questions. I can set up an IPSEC VPN connection on the firewall at site1 without any interference from the other PPTP VPN's I have right? Will I need VAC cards in the PIX's to handle the VPN tunnel between the two sites?

All the servers that will be at the site2 location will be part of our network at site1. Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks for any help.

1 Reply 1

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

The VAC is not required unless you have huge internet bandwidth and want to achieve up to 60Mbps of 3DES encryption throughput (even more with the VAC+ card).

The PIX supports multiple LAN-to-LAN and client connections simultaneously, so adding another LAN-to-LAN shouldn't be a problem.

Check the PIX support page for config examples such as this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_configuration_example09186a0080094680.shtml

One minor issue you may run into, is to determine if you will be using split tunnelling or not. That is, internet access for the second site would it be via thier own ISP or via the tunnel to the ISP on the main site?

HTH

Mustafa