cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vpn slowness

priyanka malle
Level 1
Level 1

I am using Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client version Version 4.10.07062 on my Windows 10 system to connect to our office VPN. From past few days I am experiencing a weird issue where my Internet speed is reduced by 96-97% after connecting to VPN. Without VPN my Internet connection shows 50Mbps on speedtest.net & after connecting to VPN it is reduced to less that 1Mbps. I want to know what kind of troubleshooting steps I can perform to point out the issue. My colleagues who uses same VPN are not facing this issue & also when I use my mobile internet, I don't see the issue. This issue occurs only when I use the broadband connection at home. Please help me troubleshoot the issue. I can provide more information if required. 

3 Replies 3

Based on the provided website text, here are some troubleshooting steps you can perform for slow internet speed with Cisco AnyConnect VPN:

1. Check the ASA configuration: Review the configuration file of the ASA to ensure there are no limitations or traffic shaping policies applied that could restrict the VPN speed.

2. Evaluate the VPN client settings: Check the AnyConnect client settings to ensure there are no limitations set on the client side that could limit the internet speed.

3. Confirm the internet connection speed: Perform a speed test on the local internet connection to verify the actual available bandwidth before connecting to the AnyConnect VPN.

4. Test on different networks: Try connecting to the AnyConnect VPN from different networks, such as a different Wi-Fi network or a cellular network, to determine if the issue is specific to the network being used.

5. Verify VPN concentrator resources: Check the resources on the VPN concentrator (in this case, the ASA 5505) to ensure it is not overloaded. High CPU or memory utilization can cause slow VPN speeds.

6. Review VPN tunnel encryption settings: Consider adjusting the encryption settings if they are set to a very high level, as it can potentially impact the VPN speed.

7. Update AnyConnect client: Ensure that the AnyConnect client is up to date. Older client versions may have compatibility issues or performance limitations.

8. Contact Cisco Support: If the troubleshooting steps above don't resolve the issue, reach out to Cisco Support for assistance. Provide them with the configuration file, network details, and any additional information gathered during the troubleshooting process for a more in-depth analysis.

Remember that these troubleshooting steps are general recommendations, and the root cause of slow internet speed with AnyConnect VPN can vary depending on the specific environment and configuration.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

Based on your description, there are a couple of possibilities to consider for the reduced Internet speed when connecting through the VPN using your Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client:

1. **Issue with your home network**: Since the speed reduction issue does not happen when you use mobile data or at other networks, the problem might be with your home network. Check your home network for any issues that might be throttling your traffic over VPN.

2. **ISP Throttling**: Some ISPs might throttle traffic that's suspected to be VPN traffic in an attempt to discourage its use. You can contact your ISP to confirm this.

3. **Incompatibility with Home Router**: Some home routers have settings that don't play nice with VPN traffic. Check the settings on your router or consider a firmware update if available.

4. **Software or system conflict on your computer**: Sometimes other software on your computer (like security software or other network tools) can conflict with your VPN, causing reduced speeds. Try disabling other software temporarily to see if your VPN speeds improve.

5. **VPN Settings**: It's also possible that some settings in your Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client might be affecting your speed. Try to reach out to your IT or network admin to check if any modifications on the settings might help.

I'm sorry I couldn't assist you further with specific troubleshooting steps. The sources I found did not provide a clear answer. You may need to contact your IT department or Cisco support directly for further assistance.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

Yordan Yordanov
Level 1
Level 1

hi

Have you found a solution or what was the problem causing the slowness?

regards