cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN tunnel between ASR1001-X 15.5(3)S5 and ASA 5525 v9.7

Troy.Tripp1
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to build a VPN tunnel, and it is not working.  I've build hundreds of tunnels, but mostly on older ASA firewalls, so my skills may be rusty.

On my side, I have an ASR1001-X running 15.5(3)S5.  There are several tunnels already on the router, connecting using IKEv2/IPSEC, with "interface TunnelX" set up.  Some of the Tunnel interfaces are unnumbered, while others have IP addresses assigned.  All work as expected.

Now I am trying to set up a VPN to a 3rd party's ASA 5525.  They just upgraded to v9.7 because we couldn't get the tunnel to work with their previous load, v8.3.

They wanted me to stop using Tunnel interfaces and put the encryption directly on my WAN interface, but Cisco TAC and my fellow engineers agree that would break our other tunnels.

Now they are trying to use VTI on their side.  There is a good bit of miscommunication and I'm not certain they know how to use VTI correctly.  Not being familiar with VTI myself, I have some questions:

Would this work?  Does anyone have a working example of a VPN tunnel between an ASR using Tunnel interfaces and an ASA using VTI interfaces?

What version of IKE is supported?  We've been bouncing back and forth on IKEv1 and IKEv2, but some of the documentation I've seen leads me to think that ASA's using VTI interfaces can't use IKEv2.  Is that correct?

There's confusion over the need for IP addresses on the Tunnel interface on the ASR side and on the VTI interface on the ASA side.  Does VTI support an "unnumbered" interface tied to the IP address of the outside interface, the way my ASR's Tunnel interface ties to the IP address of my WAN interface?

If anyone has a working script example, that would be great.  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am not aware about IKEv2 not supported on ASA VTI but in theory it should
be working. Also, you can have both crypto map and VTI simultaneously as
long as they don't overlap. I have implemented this many times on IOS and
don't see any reason why it won't work on ASA

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

I am not aware about IKEv2 not supported on ASA VTI but in theory it should
be working. Also, you can have both crypto map and VTI simultaneously as
long as they don't overlap. I have implemented this many times on IOS and
don't see any reason why it won't work on ASA