cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN via DSL

wamserb
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed Cisco VPN Client 4.0.2 on my desktop computer at home. I am running XP Pro, and connect to the internet via DSL through a Linksys router/switch. The network at work is accessed by a Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator. when I attempt to connect from home I get an error message that says the connection was terminated by a local peer. I am new to this and would appreciate any help I can get.

4 Replies 4

mplant
Level 1
Level 1

Without more information about your DSL connection etc., I would say that you problem is caused by the Linksys attempting to run PAT on the IPSEC packets - IPSEC doesn't work in this type of configuration. You need to configure the "pass-through" option on the Linksys to tell it to not run PAT on the packets and direct them to your PC.

You need firmware 1.34 or higher on the Linksys to support this.

HTH,

Mike.

Thankyou for this info. I will check on this right away. I appreciate your time.

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Has this ever worked? Do you have the VPN client connected somewhere else behind the router? Ensure you ahve the latest firmware and that IPSec passthrough is check. Also might want to make sure that you have NAT transparency enable on you VPN client going through UDP or TCP. Hope this helps.

patrick.cannon
Level 1
Level 1

DSL probably means you are on a pppoe network. What you are describing happens to a lot of my remote users and the solution has been to drop the max mtu size from default to a lower number. We normally use around 1350 for it.

Get a utility like Dr.TCP to do it or go hack the registry.