cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 Guest Network will not supply IP to wireless devices.

Tim-Fulton
Level 1
Level 1

Have a WAP321 connected to a Cisco SG200-08P then connected to a Cisco 2901.  The main wireless on vLAN 1 works fine.  However, the Guest on vLAN 4 (Choose vLAN 4 as per the included docs so guests will be unable to see the production network) will not give an IP to any wireless device. 

Looking for documentation, suggestions, assistance on getting the Guest radio working.  The included documention for these 3 devices do not address how to get the Guest radio to work.

Does vLAN 4 need setup on the 2901? Have just 1 internal port on the 2901...

THANKS!

15 Replies 15

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tim,

It would help if you could share the the configurations of WAP321. Also where do you have the DHCP configured for VLAN4?

Hope you have configured the switch port as trunk where the AP is connected. Also if you could provide the link (documentation) which you are using to setup the Guest wireless it would be easy to us to assist.

Regards

Najaf

Thanks!

Question #1: 

Also where do you have the DHCP configured for VLAN4?

Answer : Nope.  Believe that would go on the 2901? Is there documention for the Cisco CLI commands to use?

Question #2:

Hope you have configured the switch port as trunk where the AP is connected.

Answer : Nope.  The WAP321 is plugged into port #2 since is it a PoE port.  Is there documention on how to configure port 2 of the SG 200 as a trunk?

Thanks much!  This gives me something to work with.

PS:  I do have Cisco maintaince on the 2901 if I really need it.  Though this format would be a good place to start instead of calling on a holiday weekend...

Thanks again!

Oh, how can I share the configuration of the WAP321 with just Cisco and not everyone who reads this?  And will the configuration file that the web interface make contain the passwords?

Hi Tim,

Question #1,

A typical DHCP configuration would be as below. Also i would be nice to see the router configuration for me to confirm if the DHCP configuration is going to work based on how your router is connected back to SG-200 switch:-)

R1(config)#ip dhcp pool TEST-DHCP

R1(dhcp-config)#network 192.168.30.0 255.255.255.0

R1(dhcp-config)#default-router 192.168.30.1

R1(dhcp-config)#dns-server 192.168.10.254

R1(dhcp-config)#end

Question #2,

Hope below link will help you to setup SG200 switch interface as trunk.

http://lachlanmiskin.com/blog/2012/08/01/cisco-sg-200-08-trunking/

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Thanks!

Here attached is the WAP321 configuration file and the WAP321 has the latest firmware 1.0.3.4

Update:

The SG200 port 2 has been configured.  Found out that when set for trunk production vLAN1 would not work.  Set for both.

Created and setup vLAN4 on 2901.

Production wireless continues to work.  The Guest vLAN4 continues not to work.  Smart phone now just says "Authenticating..."  Vertified password is correct.

2901 vLAN configuration:

Suggestions?

Hi Tim,

Could you please share the screen shot of switch interface configuration to which AP and router is connected? Also for testing purpose could you assign a static ip address to wireless clients and verify iif that works?

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Here are the VLAN Switch port settings:

Hi,

I am having the same issue and need some advise. The WAP321 has VLAN 1 2 and 3. 1=Management 2=Office Wi-Fi 3=Guest Wi-Fi. WAP is connect to SG-200 50P on trunk port. VLAN 2 no problem, working fine and getting dhcp from server. VLAN 3 on the other hand gets nothing, only when manually assigning IP to device i can hit the Cisco landing page. I am using 1921 router with sub interfaces conifgured (dot1q encapsulation) connected to SG-200. Happy to chare configs etc but really need a solution.

Hi

i think in vlan 4 we have to give helper cmd,then it will  get ip address from remote source.

#ip helper-address------

Any more suggestions?

Shouild contact Cisco and open a help desk ticket?

Thanks!

HI Tim,

On which interfaces on the switch u have your AP and Router connected?

Also how is you router configuration looking like?

Regards

Najaf

Port 1 of the SG200 has the 2901 Private network connection.  Port 2 of the SG200 has the WAP321.  Attached is the vLAN screen caputure of the 2901.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for information.

Could you remove the ip address from gi0/0 and configure as below

gi0/0.1
encapsulation dot1q 1
gi0/0.2
encapsulation dot1q 4

Also on the switch end

U need to configure both port 1 and port 2 as trunk (from previous attachment port 2 does not look like trunk) and allow vlan 1 & 4 on the both interfaces. Vlan 1 should be untagged and vlan 4 should tagged on trunk interface.

Let us know how it goes..

Regards
Najaf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Ok, got this done.

The port 1 and port 2 settings now make since for the vLAN 4 information to pass through port 2 then port 1 to the 2901. 

The smart phones will still not work.

Using a laptop connected to the guest wireless which failed.  Manually assiged an IP:  10.10.4.2     255.255.255.0  etc.  The laptop will now give the Cisco welcome to the Wireless Network - Acceptance use page and ID field.

So, it looks like vLAN 4 on the 2901 does not connect with vLAN 4 from the SG200 since the 2901 will not give a DHCP address.  So, vLAN 4 DHCP needs fixed.

And need to setup an ID and PW for the Cisco welcome to the Wireless Network - Acceptance use page and ID field.

So, progress.