cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows remote browsing while VPN connected

ogvalverde
Level 1
Level 1

I am connecting to my corporate network through a VPN3000 with an IPSec client (v.3.5.2).

When connected, I can access internal resources from W2K servers, but not from Winnt 4.0 servers. I can also connect to internal services such as FTP servers ot http servers.

Another thing that fails is to connect to any resource on my PC. Internal PCs or servers map my computer name to my public internet address instead of mapping it to my internal tunnel IP.

I also cannot browse the internal network from my VPN connected PC.

Any ideas??

4 Replies 4

dhashamy
Level 1
Level 1

You wuill have to enable split-tunneling on the ipsec group if you want to be able to access local resources while connected via the tunnel. The resource connectivity sounds like a name resolution problem

s.bischoff
Level 1
Level 1

You will have to install NetBIOS over TCP/IP to enable windows remote browsing from Winnt 4.0 servers, I think this will help to solve the first problem. The second problem is to enable split tunneling on the concentrator (configure|user management|groups|modify groups|mode config|allow network in list to bypass the tunnel and choose VPN Client Local LAN). You also have to enable "Allow Local LAN" in the VPN Client settings.

First of all, thanks a lot.

I've tried what you told me, but it still happens the same. The internal servers and PC's cannot see me in the neighborhood, and the cannot access to my local resources or printers.

Internal DNSs and WINS servers map my computer name to my public IP, no to my tunnel IP.

Any other idea?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem browsing the neighborhood and with the address registered in WINS and DNS. If you are using a different block of ip addresses for vpn clients than the block of the LAN remember you must do this block routable within your LAN and if you have not so much clients try to assign them a permanent Ip address to every one. Then you can map their disks with the ip address for example, \\192.168.4.1\data...etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: