cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic download of Configuration script

martin_bisiker
Level 1
Level 1

We have recently suffered a major hardware failure and which has resulted in a new appliance being sent out to us. What we have found is that although we back the configuration files up to the appliances regularly we dont back them up off the box.

Which as you can imagine with the appliance going down this has caused us a little bit of a problem. I have been assigned a task to put in a script for automatically taking a copy of the current config and saving it to a network location.

Does anybody do this currently or give any advice on how this would be possible?

Regards,

Martin

3 Replies 3

jahasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

This can be done in two steps and using two seperate scripts. I would recommend tera term script as one of them.

Step 1. In the tera term script you configure the ssh session to the IronPort Appliance and save of the configuration file.

Step 2. You create a batch file. In this batch file you first execute the tera term script to save the config. When you save the config it is save in the configurations folder on the IronPort. This folder is accessible using FTP.

Step 3. In the second part of the batch file you FTP to the IronPort and fetch the latest .xml file.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Kind Regards

Jaki

Hi Thanks for the advice and i am trying to implement your suggestion the main problem being that i have never used tera term before.

Im looking through the tutorials but could you provide any advice on how the tt script should look, I need it to be totally automated without the need for user interaction

Thanks,

Maritn

I wrote a VBScript to handle our configuration backup. You will need PLINK.EXE (free - part of the PuTTY suite) as it allows it to connect via SSH to the device and run the backup command. You will need to go through the top section of Program Customization Variables and set them to appropriate values between the quotes. I left the sBaseDir as an example, I created the folder structure 'C:\Scripts\IronPort WSA Backup' on the server I have this running on. I created a new IronPort user named backup for this purpose. You will need to run PLINK once by hand (you can get the command line from the generated log files) to accept the SSH key of your IronPort appliance as the user you will be running this script as on the machine it will be run on (gets stored in registry). The only thing I'm aware of that this script doesn't handle is removing the backups from the IronPort, but in our environment the size is minimal. I just have this script set to run in the Windows Scheduled Tasks and has been working beautifully for us.