cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IronPort WSA S370 - Complete Wipe

marotts77
Level 1
Level 1

I have an IronPort WSA S370 and M670 that were used for a POC.  I would like to completely wipe the hard drives on the appliances prior to returning them to Cisco and wanted to know the best method to use to achieve this.  Will a resetconfig also wipe the web cache, log files, identities...etc?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sfiebran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alex,

with resetconfig, you're clearing the entire configuration, including identities, policies etc. You can erase all logging yourselft by accessing e.g. via FTP and delete all the file content. The statistics are reset via "

resetcounters". As last for the reporting database you can clear this by the commands on the CLI: "diagnostic -> reporting -> deletedb". This will destroy the current databases and start over new. At this point the unit should be back to "factory default".

Regarding "wiping the disks", erasing the harddrives is very harmful to the units as you cannot restore the operating system without returing the Appliance back to manufactoring. You should verify first with your contact that you can return the Appliances non-functional prior erasing the disks.

-Stephan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

sfiebran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alex,

with resetconfig, you're clearing the entire configuration, including identities, policies etc. You can erase all logging yourselft by accessing e.g. via FTP and delete all the file content. The statistics are reset via "

resetcounters". As last for the reporting database you can clear this by the commands on the CLI: "diagnostic -> reporting -> deletedb". This will destroy the current databases and start over new. At this point the unit should be back to "factory default".

Regarding "wiping the disks", erasing the harddrives is very harmful to the units as you cannot restore the operating system without returing the Appliance back to manufactoring. You should verify first with your contact that you can return the Appliances non-functional prior erasing the disks.

-Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the response.  I'll confirm with my contact about wiping the disks.

-Alex

I am not able to wipe the data under the ftp directory periodic_reports/wsa_client_web_activity/ folders and this contains confidential information. Would you be able to tell me how to do this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: