cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Regular Expression

Joe Silver
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! Quick question ... When doing GREP from a cli what's the correct syntax to search for a particular ip address in the access log? I've tried the ip address, ip address in double quotes and single quotes but they either return empty search results or results that seem to match the first ocet only. I even tried a slash in front of the period but that doesn't work either.

Thanks!

Joe

ent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The issue is the periods in the IP.  A period will match any character in place of the period. For IP's type this in 10\.10\.6\.7 This is escaping the periods telling grep to look for the characater itself.

Christian Rahl

Customer Support Engineer                      

Cisco IronPort - Web Security Appliances

Cisco Technical Assistance Center RTP

United States Ironport: 1-877-641-IRON (4766)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Chris Illsley
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Easiest way is just to use the menu:

grep

IP address

Etc

However, grep ip-address accesslogs, should also work.

Thanks

Chris

Thanks Chris for the response.  Unfortunately using the cli menu to grep an ip address out of the accesslogs doesn't seem to work.  I realize that doing GREP does a search as a regular expression but I just tried it again and the command does return results but none seem to match the ip addresses I'm searching for.  I've attached a screenshot.

If I grep for a single username or for a website it works just fine but doesn't work when grep'ing for an ip address.

Thanks,

Joe

The issue is the periods in the IP.  A period will match any character in place of the period. For IP's type this in 10\.10\.6\.7 This is escaping the periods telling grep to look for the characater itself.

Christian Rahl

Customer Support Engineer                      

Cisco IronPort - Web Security Appliances

Cisco Technical Assistance Center RTP

United States Ironport: 1-877-641-IRON (4766)

Thanks Christian! That works great!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: