Replies

WSA upgrade for approaching EoL release

MehnazKhan2492
Level 1
Level 1

We have a WSA environment with SMA 

WSA s170 running on  10.1.0-204

SMA running on 10.1.0-037

I am looking for the recommended releases if I go by document there are various options and upgrade path is required. Can we upgrade to the new version via recommended path or just keep the WSA running on next version for sometime before targeting for latest version.

Also, if I check via CLI upgrade command it gives us slight different options, what is the best practice like follow the CLI or go by Cisco documentations.

Also I would like to know if there is a way to uprgade via CLI and any step by step instructions as it failed on few occasions in the past.

Regards,

Meh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

S170 is EOL soon, what is the options you see in the Software upgrade, ?

SMA should be first 13.X before you upgrade, then Upgrade WSA to 12.X or 13.X  based on the requirement.

What is the model of SMA ?  SMA release notes.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/security/content-security-management-appliance/products-release-notes-list.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no CLI Upgrade - GUI Upgrade gives you clear steps and what version versions available to upgrade.

Upgrade approach :

1. SMA always needs to be a higher version compatible with WSA Version you upgrading.

2. Look at the release notes you can see a compatible version.

3. From 10.X  you can go 11.X 12.X whatever desired version. 13.X  is the latest with many bug Fixes. 14.X is on way.

To save time, always download the package first to the box, so your installation only takes less than 10-15min and the reboot process takes place?

If you have a high availability environment, Upgrade 1 at a time and test it. before upgrade another one

Bare in mind rollback to old version really pain not that straight forward.

Always offload working configuration out of the box each kit

BB

Thanks Balaji 

Since SMA is the management box and I have 2 WSA in main DC in HA and 1  WSA in DR as virtual

Can I upgrade SMA to 13.x which has bug fixes in first window and keep the WSA to 10.x and then move wsa to 12.x via upgrade path ?

Can you clarify offload working configuration and download package, is it like I need to place the files on some download servers or locally on the box . I was told by one of the resources that you need to first check the available upgrade versions via CLI and then we can decide the upgrade path. What are the various paths in general from 10.x 

Does SMA to 13.x is the direct upgrade or few steps upgrade ? What is the sequence we need to follow if I need to upgrade SMA and WSA in one window to latest releases

1) 1 SMA 10.x

2) 2 WSA in DC ( production ) 10.x

3) 1 WSA in DR virtual 10.x

Regards,

Meh

S170 is EOL soon, what is the options you see in the Software upgrade, ?

SMA should be first 13.X before you upgrade, then Upgrade WSA to 12.X or 13.X  based on the requirement.

What is the model of SMA ?  SMA release notes.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/security/content-security-management-appliance/products-release-notes-list.html

BB

Thanks Balaji, 

My bad I am using S190 and M190, so do I need to complete the upgrade in one cycle or I can run 10.x with 13.x SMA.

Thanks for your help !!

Regards,

Meh

It all depends on Downtime you get from Business, You can upgrade all with compatable matrix as mentioned by me before.

but you can upgrade and join them back also later. as long as you get correct upgrade version show in software upgrade that means its ready to upgrade.

as mentioned save time, download and keep ready, when you like to install, install just to saves lot of time.

if the device is up for Longer days, suggest to reboot before you upgrade, i have enocunter some issue with Long uptime.

BB