Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Local Gateway

victorchen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question about Local Gateway, in below picture, you need to have two interfaces in local gateway, one is face to PSTN and one if face to Webex calling. I would like to know in design point of view if any problem if I only have one interface

which will route traffic to webex calling and SIP service provider via internet? 

gw-pic.JPG

Thanks

Victor

5 Replies 5

husali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Victor,

One Interface is fine as long as it can reach the ITSP and the Webex Calling cloud.

Regards,

Hussain

Response Signature

Hi Hussain,

Thank you for the information, I have tested it on the lab and work fine with one interface set up.

So no matter PSTN SIP trunk connect via internet link or private network the solution will work.

Any concern if route SIP via internet such as QoS and Security issue? Does Cisco only recommend connect PSTN not via internet directly? 

Thanks

Hi Victorchen,

For SIP Trunk over the Internet, we recommend placing a firewall between CUBE and the outside network. As far as QoS is concerned, that will not help since the Internet is not policied. For enterprise deployments, SIP Trunks over MPLS is the most common deployment option but as more workloads migrate towards the cloud, SIP Trunks over the Internet are becoming very common.

Regards,

Hussain

Response Signature

Hi Hussain,

Thank you for the information, I agree with you, most of our clients are enterprise and deployments SIP Trunks over MPLS.

So I am interest to know if SIP Trunks over the Internet if get the same good experience compare to SIP over mpls, since call travel over internet without encryption to SIP provider there is more security issue and once traffic left firewall then you can't control traffic too.

Victor,

No one can guarantee the quality you will get with voice over the internet. Like @husali said, the internet is not policed and any QoS treatments you apply will only applicable up until your edge devices. Once the call goes over the internet its all for man for themselves. if this is a large deployment, then you really want to deploy sip over your MPLS network into your ITSP where you can configure QoS and those QoS markings can be trusted within your ITSP cloud.

Please rate all useful posts