cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outlook presence integration in elevated processes

sully213
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone ever gotten a technical/engineering level explanation of why Webex can't integrate with Outlook presence when one or both processes are running as elevated? I've asked TAC and just got pointed to the existing documentation that simply says it doesn't work. Yes, I know it doesn't work, but my boss wants to know WHY it doesn't work. Skype/Teams doesn't have this limitation, what about Webex makes it not work? And our users that we just migrated from Skype are pushing back that Webex is inferior because of this which is going to lead to lower adoption rates in the long run.

Anyway, as suggested I've submitted a feature request to try to get it addressed so if anyone can either give me a good reason why it doesn't work or maybe upvote that feature request to get it addressed it'd be appreciated. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

rikardkrvaric
Spotlight
Spotlight

It's quite interesting to have two different presence indicators - one for Jabber and one for Teams, in my case.

Sometimes they will be green in Outlook, so I check Jabber, and they're not even logged in.

Other times I will see people in Jabber with the same presence in Outlook.

It would be nice to have ONE overarching presence indicator for everything - that can't be impossible to achieve, but one party will have to give up it's authority on the indicators.

I'm fine with only having one presence provider per system. I have Webex on my phone to indicate presence while away from my desk but still "available". If I'm on my desktop/laptop only one really needs to talk back to presence. But the lack of presence integration while running in elevated processes is what's lacking here. So I'm really looking for a good technical explanation of what is blocking presence publishing while in an elevated process. 

I almost feel like there needs to be a universal presence provider that other presence clients can talk to. A centralized and fully federated internet standard that clients report presence info to and query from. Wasn't that the promise of XMPP back in 2004? A fully interoperable IM and Presence platform that everyone could use using open standards. Whatever happened to that idea?