cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex - Blur my Background Feature

stevenle
Spotlight
Spotlight

So Zoom / MS Teams has a blur my background feature during video calls. We're a Webex organization though and I don't currently see this feature for Webex. Looking in the desktop app and over the web, the option to do this doesn't jump out at me. Teams / Zoom have had this feature for a while. Would be poor on Webex's part to not have some type of feature like this. Definitely comes in handy now with everyone for the most part working remotely. We're Cisco Webex Meetings Desktop app version is 39.7.7.27.

Anyone know if this feature is available?

52 Replies 52

All the other video platforms have blur and virtual background as a option for all platforms....why is Cisco behind in this ?

That needed to be function last year....need it now working from home.  Zoom and Microsoft meetings has it !  Please add as soon as possible. Needed it back in Jan ....

@david.stearns  As far as I have noticed this is just a community-forum, no Cisco-Management here...

According to the posting from @Jaime Valencia (see above..) Cisco is still very... conservative.
You need to be a paying customer and have to take the very official, very paperwork way to become heard.

I guess we both know, that modern companies usually have their "spies" in such user-forums picking up and reporting the user-feedback, requests and feedback to the management above.
As it seems, Cisco is not (yet?) working that way.

(although its unfair to compare: I also spend some time in the forum of Serif/Affinity - (compared to Cisco) a tiny graphics-Software Developer in the UK. Their forum is very alive and the communication between customers and company is very straight-forward. positive.)

on the other hand: the Cisco-Support is very good, based on my experience..

kind regards

Fritz

Received this from TAC. I know we're locked into our current release for a while but hoping with v40 rollout, this will be included. Please tag this post or add to it. I am sharing with this with my account team.

I reached out to the Product Team and what I got from them is –

“this is on our short term roadmap, with Mac support coming soon. No exact timeline for delivery.”

I am sorry I do not have a timeline to share.

We are running v40.2.14.19 and still no background features as of 4/21.  Appears they have been saying "it's coming" for serveral months now while their competitors have had it available for a few years.   Our teams are getting restless after sharing Cisco's response a month ago and still nothing.  With everyone working remote and Marketing wanting branding options, we're going to have to look at other solutions.

@donaldfodor 

From my point of view the "background blur" - stuff is overrated/hyped and hardly ever used in real life (as far as I have experienced..)
The "branding-options" on the other hand is a far more realistic scenario...

Until Cisco offers a valid solution, you may try tools as workaround.
There are tools out there, that take the image from your camera, change some parts according to your settings,
and forward the "new" video-stream as a virtual Web-Cam.
(Logitech does the same with their software called "Logitech capture"...)

Such tools are:
Snap-Camera  https://snapcamera.snapchat.com/
Chroma Cam   https://www.chromacam.me/
XSPLIT VCam  https://www.xsplit.com/vcam

Since I have not yet used any of these, I would love to read your testing-results...

Fritz

I use ChromaCam on Windows 10, works fine.

Thank you! I had never heard about ChromaCam before but I found it and downloaded it. The free version doesn't let you adjust the blur but it is effective and the full version is not expensive. This will work.
Thanks,
Kaycee Crane

Good news blur on Mac is releasing in 40.6 version soon to be generally available in the next month or so. Other options like loading custom background or windows support is next

Hi Fritz
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look into and offer any feedback I may have.
Although I may not be familiar with the 1st and 3rd suggestion, I know several members of both our Sales & Marketing team are using the chromacam solution on their personal devices as they got tired of waiting and seemed to be pleased with it. I was trying to hold off as long as possible as I hate having to manage another 3rd app for all of our users.
Kind Regards,
Don

@donaldfodor 

...as I hate having to manage another 3rd app for all of our users.

I fully agree and understand your POV.
Perhaps the following approach helps to ease the pain:
If your users were using WebCams from Logitech you would also have to install
additional software ("Logitech Capture") - just to get access to very basic adjustment-options!

Perhaps one of those tools (or others I am not aware of..) are professional enough
to offer management-options (silent install, pre-configured setup-ini-files etc..).

good luck!

@stevenle 

Thanks for your posting, although I am not sure if I do fully understand it.

We all see this as a basic feature - what does the info about "Mac support" mean in this context?
This feature is needed on any platform - not just the 5-9% who use Apple-Devices.

lets see, how fast Cisco can deliver...

Fritz

There is an official procedure to ask for new features in products, it's called a PER (Product Enhancement Request) and it's done via your account team. You will provide a description of the behavior you want to be introduced, changed or removed along with the business case for it so it can be reviewed.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I plan on using the PER and submitting to my account team. I'll include the TAC case number along with this forum post. Can't imagine this hasn't been brought up with them before.

Hi @Jaime Valencia 

"...and it's done via your account team"

What is my account team?

I am just a private user with a free webex-account providing possibly good suggestions...

?

kind regards

Fritz

shleets
Level 1
Level 1

I've been told it's coming in the next release of the desktop app.

It's funny how Cisco has known about our desire for this feature for some time now...  But finally, when there is a mass movement to Zoom mtgs which offers backgrounds, and Teams which offers a blur feature, Webex is now behind the curve and lacking features, and WAAAAAY more expensive than the other two.  Microsoft Teams is only $4/mth/user to have a DID for external calls.  Teams is included if you have Office365, and you can call and host meetings to anybody else in your organization without the $4 fee, but still if you want to pick up a phone and call in, that $4 is still a requirement.  So far it does everything that webex does and is significantly cheaper.  Webex better step up or get left behind.

@afunk 

Well, that´s called competition - usually it leads to better products.
The "backgrounds"-feature is nice but in the end it´s the overall quality and reliability of the product that counts;
and most of all: protection of your data and privacy.

regarding pricing:
based on the "list price" on the webpages, 3 of 4 products are cheaper at webex:
- the free version of Webex does more than the free zoom
- Webex-Starter is cheaper than zoom-"Pro" 
- Webex-Plus is cheaper than zoom-"Business"  (and you have to buy at least 10 zoom licenses vs. just 1 @Webex...)
- Webex-Business is more expensive than zoom-"Enterprise"  but
Webex has a minimum of just 5 licenses while Zoom requires you to buy at least 100! licenses on that product-level.

And: keep in mind that this is "single User"-Pricing; Business-customers do not pay these Webex-prices
since there are special (and more complex) licensing models available for business-Users.

MS Teams is part of Office 365 - true.
And the more Services you receive from the same provider the more you create a "single point of failure".
Does the IT-Dept. really like that MS has a certain remote-control over the Computers and the software in the Customer-Company when using O365? Do we really like, that MS is collecting more and more data? (private data? business data??)

I don´t know about the situation in the US (where you are from, I guess...) but in Europe I feel
a certain "Microsoft is OK as the basic stuff in case you can not afford anything better.." - as a prevailing mood. 
While on the other hand interestingly Apple also is not recognized as a serious business-product.
(for obvious reasons: far more expensive, very weak support (no onsite-repair, no NBD-repair, no "keep your harddrive" etc.)).

But I do agree: Cisco is too "american", too slow, too much "policy and process"-driven.
Although I support the necessity of rules and processes - but sometimes less is more.

Just read the answer of @Jaime Valencia:  regarding my question about how to send feature requests to Cisco:
"There is an official procedure to ask for new features in products, it's called a PER (Product Enhancement Request)
and it's done via your account team. You will provide a description of the behavior you want to be introduced,
changed or removed along with the business case for it so it can be reviewed.
"

well, others just listen to their customers... e.g. in a community forum.. ;-)

"And the more Services you receive from the same provider the more you create a "single point of failure"."

This is a hard one for Cisco or Cisco partners to point out since one of Cisco's selling points is "one throat to choke".    Cisco's vision is to own the enterprise and the customer only needs to call TAC for issues rather than get the run-around.

@mhurley131 

perhaps we have a misunderstanding here...
I was talking about a wider (broader?) POV:

If the same company provides you with:

- Office-Software
- Client-Operating-System
- Server-Operating-System
- Systems-Management-Software
- Cloud-Storage-Service
- eMail-Server/Service
- "Groupware"  (Sharepoint?)
- Security(?) -Solutions
- Client-Hardware
- Collaboration-Software
- etc.

that´s what I call a dangerous single point of failure.

Do you have any documentation that supports that? I looked at what's new in v40 (I'm on v39) and didn't see anything that mentioned it. Link that I reviewed is below. 

https://help.webex.com/en-us/xcwws1/What-s-New-for-the-Latest-Versions-of-Webex-Meetings

Looks like your site is locked down to 39.7.7, same as us.  The blur feature is available starting with a later release.  Our lockdown was supposed to get lifted but then covid happened and they pushed the unlock until the summer.  

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.