Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Control Hub Network Commands

DarrenDCCalhoun
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

We're working with a customer to isolate some packet loss issues during Webex and CVI TEAMS calls, and are attempting to determine the path/s taken by performing a tracert from either the Webex endpoint or Webex Control Hub.  One of my colleagues mentioned that ping and tracert could be performed within WCH X-Commands, but I either don't have that level of access or it's not an available feature within the diagnostic tools.

Anyone have any insights they can share?

Thank you in advance for your comments!

Darren

4 Replies 4

Igor Lukic
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @DarrenDCCalhoun,

unfortunately there is no root access available on the video systems anymore, so you can use ping or tracert commands on the devices. In Control Hub there is also no option for issuing this commands.

An option would be the ThousandEyes integration with Webex (paid product) which gives you exactly this visibility and even more. Please refer to https://www.thousandeyes.com/solutions/webex-monitoring for more information.

However, there other tools that you could use. On one hand, you can check out the Troubleshooting tab in Webex Control Hub and search for either the affected user (by specifying the email) or the affected meeting (by specifying the meeting ID) to get some insights.

On top of that you can also run a packet capture on Webex devices by navigating to their web interface and enable the extended full logging (as depicted on the screenshot):

IgorLukic_0-1675187209157.png

This will enable a packet capture for the next three minutes. So if you do this, while the issue is occurring you will be able to identify the destination IP address and check the network path by using ping / tracert from a PC in the same network as the Webex device.

I know that this is not perfect, but at least it is a way to get more insight. The better solution would be to use ThousandEyes, as it can provide much more information than just ping / tracert.

Best regards

Igor

Hello Igor, I appreciate you clarifying that neither the endpoint devices directly nor via Webex Control Hub directly can devices be queried via the discussed commands. I also appreciate your sharing alternate solutions which integrate with Control Hub such as Thousand Eyes. Much appreciated, Darren

Thanks a lot @DarrenDCCalhoun!

jrsteele21
Spotlight
Spotlight

You do the x-commands on the devices via Control Hub.  https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/9lk0bf/Launch-Commands-from-Control-Hub.  There is a limited amount of commands you can do without being on the same network as the device.  Click down into the device and on the right side you'll see the configuration options/links on the right.