Views
Helpful
Replies

WebEx VDI screen sharing

Robert.Putten
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are using Webex VDI and the only option available for screen sharing is the screen of the thin-client endpoint, but not any of the applications inside the HVD. When I switch off VDI optimizations I get the ability to share my HVD screen or the applications.

In our case i don't care about sharing the endpoint screen, but i really would like the ability to share the HVD screen or the individual applications, whilst still maintaining optimized audio/video calls via the thin-client. Is this possible?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

corbin.declercq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Robert Putten, 

I'm not certain, but the issue might be related to the hairpin effect.  The release notes describe how the optimization used to eliminate the hairpin effect leverages the thin-client to be used for a media path.  The notes specifically state that the, "media path does not go through the hosted virtual desktops (HVDs)", while it is in VDI optimization.  

"To reduce latency and to enhance media quality, the VDI plugin optimizes the media workflows by streaming media directly between users on thin client endpoints and leverages the hardware of the thin client machines to handle media processing. This media path does not go through the hosted virtual desktops (HVDs). The result is a stable and full-featured calling and meeting experience for your VDI users."

Link for release notes: https://help.webex.com/en-US/article/ntp1us7/Webex-App-%7C-VDI-release-notes#Cisco_Concept.dita_99e48166-6e5c-446f-9d14-2dd8da7015c1

My guess is that you will not be able to share the HVD while in VDI optimization.  I hope this helped and I await to here from anyone else within the community pertaining to this inquiry.  

Best,

Corbin D.