cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can service apps use messaging API ?

isawfirefly
Level 1
Level 1

So we want to integrate webex chat in our company platform. My task is to identify if cisco has the right api which can do what we want.

1. I see that we can the integration API. Essentially there will be a "authorize company to webex chat" , the user clicks -> sign-ins -> we get tokens -> use use tokens to make request to rest messaging API .

Above is fine. But one of the requirement is for the process to be as seamless as possible.

2. The "service app " API seems ideal. The organization/client using our platform gives us access -> and we make requests to the messaging API. But I am not sure if this can work.

What we want is our platform users, can instantly post to webex as themselves, without having to create webex accounts. Is this possible ?

But I see many endpoints don't have the ability to specify "from user" . Can we create new users from "service app" ?

Thank you

1 Reply 1

Jeff Marshall
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Service Apps are meant to be used to perform admin(creating users for example) and compliance level tasks. Basically apps that will be running in the background with no human interaction. They can be used to send a messages but the message will come from the Service App and not a user as the Service App is technically its own user, similar to how bots are their own user.

If your users aren't going to have Webex accounts then you can use a Guest Issuer app to generate guest users and then use the tokens belonging to those guest users to send messages. Messages sent by a guest user will show as coming from whatever name you defined when you create the guest user.