cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Collaborate via web APIs into VOIP group/Jabber group

arnieDps
Level 1
Level 1

I have an application that would like to use a web service API to send a text message to a specific group of users (organization-wide Jabber group, hopefully controlled via AD group) when a clerk in the field needs a manager to perform an override operation.

The clerk would simply click a link and the app would write data to the database and then send out the broad cast to all concerned. Someone logs into the app and goes to the task page and works the task (a broadcast then goes out that user X is working the task). Once complete, the app would reply to the clerk that the task is complete.

Optionally, the ability to allow clerk and manager to IM each other from the app via the Jabber subsystem would also be very helpful (Jabber may not be installed everywhere in the field).

If this is possible, can someone give me a list of items to review (APIs, set ups to complete, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

arnieDps
Level 1
Level 1

Also, I'm looking for SOAP/XML or RESTful/JSON APIs, not client-side/JS APIs in particular.

For Jabber, you would need to use the XMPP protocol for sending/receiving messages - there are no REST/SOAP endpoints providing messaging functionality.

Typically this would be done by finding an XMPP stack (https://xmpp.org/software/libraries.html not an exhaustive list - Cisco doesn't recommend/support any particular library) and incorporating it into your app.  However, as an XMPP client is a real-time app that needs to establish/maintain a connection/registration, handle incoming XMPP messages, etc. it's can be a bit more involved than something based on REST/webhooks, for example.

(Note, Webex messaging does provide easy-to-use REST/webhooks/websockets based messaging functionality that would probably be easier to deal with...just in case your org was on the verge of migrating...)