cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Single line code blocks are squeezing out whitespace

ecoen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My bot needs to generate a report as a table (which our Markdown does not support).  I can generate it and send it as a code block to keep the whitespace (column alignment), but I need to provide a hotlink at the end of some of the report lines.

Normally, I would submit the lines individually with inline code block tick `Like        this` [click me](https:\\www.cisco.com), but unfortunately it looks as though there is a bug in the implementation of the inline code block Markdown within Webex messaging.  It is squeezing out whitespace (in a code block ?!?!?!)...

Any suggestions?  Is anyone in the BU aware of this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

ecoen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks as though this is expected behavior, as all 3 of my brewers treat it the same way.

did find a workaround by using html responses vs. Markdown, and replacing all spaces with '&nbsp' except the last space before the next word in the line, then wrapping the entire line in '<code></code>'.  I was also append to append my hyperlinks on the lines that needed them by adding '<a href = the_url rel=nofollow\>the_text</a>.  All lines get joined together with a '<br>' between them (vs. a new line).

That's a bit of extra work, but it worked out for my project.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ecoen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks as though this is expected behavior, as all 3 of my brewers treat it the same way.

did find a workaround by using html responses vs. Markdown, and replacing all spaces with '&nbsp' except the last space before the next word in the line, then wrapping the entire line in '<code></code>'.  I was also append to append my hyperlinks on the lines that needed them by adding '<a href = the_url rel=nofollow\>the_text</a>.  All lines get joined together with a '<br>' between them (vs. a new line).

That's a bit of extra work, but it worked out for my project.

Raffaele Lagana
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not aware of this issue, maybe you can create a ticket with us at devsupport@webex.com so that we can check it further and engage engineering if needed. Please share the code as well, to see what you're doing (at least the code snippet where you're sending the code block and link).