cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

16 Digit Authentication Code

JohnMorris00556
Level 1
Level 1

Very very frustrated with Cisco.  Recently purchased a Cisco Codec Pro via a contractor who also installed the device.  When going through the set-up process ran into the requirement for a 16 digit authentication.  Followed the steps for access to the authentication code only to find out you require an account to access the Cisco Webex Control Hub.  Contacted tech support who pointed me to cisco.com to create an account, went back to access the control hub to find out that’s a different account supposedly cause my new sign-in does not work!  So simple question .. how do I gain access to the Cisco Webex Control Hub in order to add the device and get this 16-digit authentication code in order to register our new device.  This seems way more complicated that it should be.

3 Replies 3

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@JohnMorris00556 

(In case I completly misunderstood your issue: sorry in advance for wasting your time!)

To use Webex (on your Tablet, Smartphone, Computer, in a WebBrowser) you need a Webex-Account.
These accounts range from "free" up to "enterprise" - depending on your license.

Do you have such an account?
Did you try and manage to successfully log on to  web.webex.com?
You may try to log on to the Control-Hub with the same credentials: https://admin.webex.com/login

(or perhaps your contractor did create a different account for Webex-Administration - for security reasons..?)

The Webex-Hub is the central stage to manage all Webex-Accounts and Devices in a company.
It may seem like some sort of "overkill" to use the Control Hub for just a few Accounts and only a small amount of Devices, but it´s useful to do it that way.
(Perhaps Cisco may consider to offer a small-business Control Hub-Interface-option (on/off), hiding the pro-features..?)

As soon as you have access to the Control Hub, you can add devices.
The code generated by the Control-Hub expires after 7 days.

This may seem complicated since the whole process is designed with large-business clients in mind.

Thank you, this is the most direction/advise I received concerning this issue, unfortunately when I try to sign in to admin.webex.com with my webex account it says "Unauthorized ... You're not authorized to access this page."  I also spoke to our IT department, we're on a military base, they stated each organization is responsible for their own accounts. 

Now my question, how do I get "authorization" to view "admin.webex.com"?

@JohnMorris00556 

This is hard for me to answer from a distance, without knowing details.

first: that your Webex-User-Account does not work at  admin.webex.com  is a good security measure.
(In case your account-data is lost / stolen or you leave the "company" the administrative access is still possible...)

also: perhaps your IT did not understand that you are talking about an administative Account - not some User-Account?

I would ask the contractor you mentioned before asking if they perhaps already created the necessary accounts (...and forgot to tell you?)
If they did not:

Like military-units, IT-stuff is also organized in hierarchical structures, entities, domains etc.
In case your device belongs to an supra-regional (?) IT-structure and every base has at least one of those devices etc., I am convinced that all Webex-Accounts and -Devices are centrally managed using the Webex Control Hub:
Who is doing this administration? How to contact him/her? How to ask him/her to add your new Device to the Configuration?

Are there any other Webex-Devices or Webex-Accounts being officially used in your organisation for business purposes?
If the answer is yes: than there has to be a Webex-Admin somewhere in your organisation - perhaps at another location, perhaps it´s an external business-partner....?