cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Import Contacts

KCav45
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to import contacts into Webex Meetings from Google Contacts.  Can someone help me with this?

On my Personal Room Home page there is a box with my name on it.  The box is located on the top right side of the Home page.  When I position the cursor on the box a menu pops-up and the second item is My contacts.  When I clicked on My contacts the My Webex Contacts worksheet appeared. On the work sheet there is a line on which it says Import From [Comma or Tab Delimited Files] and a box [Import] I clicked on the box. I page appeared that said, To upload a comma or tab delimited file, select the file to upload, select the type of delimiter your file uses, and select Import.

I went to Google Contacts and selected several contacts, then pressed Export to CSV file.  This action created a Microsoft Excel worksheet with one client per line. I went back to the My Webex Contacts and entered the file name and selected the Comma delimiter type, then I pressed Import. 

Instaed of importing Contact in My Webev Contacts list it said "Incorrect fie format!"  Can someone explain why this happened?

2 Accepted Solutions

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Webex tty picky on the file format. What I suggest is you Export (create a single contact manually) your current list, and then take the google contacts and add them to this webex exported sheet. This should allow the contact to import without issue.

View solution in original post

I posted a question on the Excel forum asking how to merge two Excel spreadsheets.  This is what they said:

1. Delete all unnecessary columns from one spreadsheet then make sure ony the same columns exit on the other.
  2. sort so the lines are in the same order on both spreadsheet
  3. Copy and paste individuals from one spreadsheet to the other until they match

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rcoulson89
Level 1
Level 1

MAKE SURE.....in Excel you select file format "Comma Seperated Value" .csv. .....Simular options DONT work. CSV UTF-8 / UTF-16 fails with message Incorrect file format. This solved it for me.

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Webex tty picky on the file format. What I suggest is you Export (create a single contact manually) your current list, and then take the google contacts and add them to this webex exported sheet. This should allow the contact to import without issue.

From Webex

1. on My Webex Contacts work page
  2. on the line View [Personal Contacts] I clicked in the box for Export
  3. a file named Contacts.csv was created in Microsoft Excel
  4. the file had 14 lines one contact per line

From Google Contacts

1. selected a subgroup named FBCW
  2. scrolled down to the Export command, selected As Google CSV and clicked
  3. a file named Contacts.csv iwas created in Microsoft Excel
  4. the file had 20 lines one contact per line

How do I take the google contacts and add them to this webex exported sheet?

Is there a way to merge the two files in Webex?   Or do I have to use commands in Microsoft Excel?

I posted a question on the Excel forum asking how to merge two Excel spreadsheets.  This is what they said:

1. Delete all unnecessary columns from one spreadsheet then make sure ony the same columns exit on the other.
  2. sort so the lines are in the same order on both spreadsheet
  3. Copy and paste individuals from one spreadsheet to the other until they match

Hi Mike,

Thank you for replying to my post.  I hope you will be patient with me because I would like to become a proficient user of Webex.

The first thing I did was update one contact in My Webex Contacts so I would have one with complete information.  Next I tried to export the contact.   When I select one contact and exported I got the whole Contact list instead of one contact, but the file did include telephone number and street address I had added. 

I am about to export contacts from Google Contacts into the contact list I exported from My Webex Contacts.  If I am unable to specify which contacts to export the list will have over 600 contacts instead of 70.