Views
Helpful
Replies

Outlook Webex utilizes Webex Meetings app rather than the new Webex app

alexb2746
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

As we are trying to adopt and move over to the new Webex coming from Webex Meetings, one of things is users typically click on Outlook Webex links and this either opens their "old" Webex Meetings app or it will prompt to download it if not installed. I should also note we have Webex Meetings cross-launch enabled on our site as well. 

This behavior is prevalent on Mac and Windows, but more problematic for Windows users.

1 Accepted Solution

Wade H.
Spotlight
Spotlight

I had my CSM confirm that this is the current expected behavior, unfortunately. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

alexb2746
Level 1
Level 1

Agreed, installing both does seem to be needed. We do have cross-launch enabled my CSM confirmed this is expected behavior for now and mis-communication by Cisco. Sometimes mine did launch into the new Webex app, but without consistency and we do have mixed environment with prod tools and the new Webex Meetings Scheduler with newer office 365 rollouts.

According to the "What's New in Webex" page, the full-featured meetings experience is being enabled for everyone in May. I'm curious if this is simply enabling the cross-launch option, or if this is a more native implementation (hopefully the latter). Hopefully, this includes launching the new Webex app over the Webex Meetings app when clicking the join link from Outlook.

https://help.webex.com/en-us/8dmbcr/Webex-What-s-New#Cisco_Reference.dita_eb619210-39c1-4e0d-9131-717696c2c647

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

based on this very recent support article:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/1h3jqab/Cisco-Webex-Productivity-Tools-WBS39-10-and-Later

it seems, that the productivity tools are (still ?) linked to the Webex-Meetings - Client.

That makes me guess, that Cisco considers the Webex-Meetings - Client still to be the main/preferred Tool for Webex-Meetings.
Perhaps because Webex(-Teams) does not (yet) provide the "full meeting experience"  - at least not by default.

(needs to be enabled by Cisco manually upon request).

I think there was a forum-posting some time ago by a Cisco-Product-Manager (?) explaining why installing both, the new Webex-Client and the "classic" Webex-Meetings-Client, are still considered "best practise" for maximum webex-experience.

Wade H.
Spotlight
Spotlight

I had my CSM confirm that this is the current expected behavior, unfortunately.