cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex, Mac, iPhone

richard10
Level 1
Level 1

My iPhone does not work as a webcam for Webex.  

I have Webex 41.4.0.18629.  My Mac is running OS 11.2.3.   The iPhone is on iOS 14.5.   With EpocCam in the iPhone, I use the iPhone as a webcam for Zoom.   Zoom works well.  Webex does not.  I started with a wireless connection, but now I have the iPhone and the Mac connected by USB-C.

Webex says that it cannot find any cameras.  

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get the Webex application to connect again to the iPhone, I surely would appreciate the advice.  TIA

11 Replies 11

richard10
Level 1
Level 1

I have one note of maybe some progress.  While paying around with this particular Webex application, I found that I can see myself in Preferences>Video.  That means that this Webex application is communicating with EpocCam in the iPhone.   I have not figured out what to do with this setting.   When I go back to the main window, I see in the upper right corner "Connect to a device."   I click on that link, and the application reports that it cannot find a connected device.  I do not understand why not, because the application's video preference connects just fine.   Am I missing something here?

And, if we get the iPhone to work as a webcam in Webex, can I do the same in Webex Meetings?   Webex Meetings is the application that  activates whenever I join a scheduled Webex meeting.   (For some reason nobody uses the Webex application.)  In Webex Meetings, I see down in the lower left corer of the window a link for Connect to video system.     When I click on that link, a smaller window opens and reports no devices found.   

Under the meeting window, where you start the computer video, there’s a drop down to list camera devices connected to your computer, do you see the device listed there?

No.  Here is a screen shot:

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.05.08 AM.png

And I have the iPhone connected to the Mac, and EpocCam is on.

Hey Richard,

That option is for a video endpoint using proximity. Since this is an attached camera, I think you would have to go to the settings for the app, under video, and see if you see the option there.

For example, these are the devices I see on mine.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.59.11 AM.png

Here is what I get.   Settings recognizes EpocCam, but the Webex application does not show the video from the iPhone.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.03.47 AM.png

I do not know if the manner of connection is important.   EpocCam works wirelessly as well as wired.  I have the iPhone plugged in right now only to recharge its battery.

I wonder if something else on the mac is trying to lock and use it, can you try the wireless option to see if it makes a difference?

Else, I would suggest opening a TAC case.

Interesting!  I disconnected the iPhone from the Mac.  I started a meeting in Webex, and now I do see myself in My Preview.    I do not know why Webex and EpocCam require only the wireless connection.

Next question:   how do I get Webex Meetings to connect to EpocCam, either wirelessly or not?   Webex Meetings is a completely different application from the Webex application that I am looking at now.   Webex is the application that I open when I want to start a meeting.  But, when I join someone else's meeting, that meeting opens in Webex Meetings.   Yesterday I looked all around through Webex Meetings, and I could not find a place for connecting my iPhone.  But I might have had the iPhone connected by cable then, too.   (I like to keep the phone charged.)   

What is the relation between the two Webex applications, i.e., Webex and Webex Meetings?

Richard,

If you are curious enough about USB not working, we can have our TAC department help you look.

In regards to Webex vs Webex Meetings, the team is working on a unified experience, so in the future it will only be the Webex app. But right now, when you join a meeting on Webex Meetings app, next to the camera/video button, there should be a drop down, if you click on that, it should give you a similar list of video devices, and you should be able to select EpocCam there.

The drop-down menu sounds familiar. Next time I join a Webex Meetings meeting, I will disconnect the iPhone and see if EpocCam works wirelessly.

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@richard10 
Seems to be mainly an issue on MacOS since most/all virtual Webcams do work fine with Webex on Windows.

But good news: Team Collaboration - Webex | What's New
grafik.png

I am still not getting anywhere.   I see the note there that a Mac user may need permission of his system administrator in order to use an iPhone as a virtual camera.   Where do I find a system administrator?  I have my iPhone plugged directly into my Mac with a USB-C cable.