cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Training: How do I tell which of the muted participants has muted themselves, and which are muted by me (or the system)?

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Experts,

I'm a fan of WebEx Teams, and have used Webex Meetings a few times (no means an expert) but now I've been given the task of 5 days presenting with Webex Training.

As this useful document (https://help.webex.com/en-us/n94aj5j/Mute-or-Unmute-in-Cisco-Webex-Meetings-Suite) tells me:

When you mute participants in Webex Events and Webex Training, only you can unmute them. They can't unmute themselves.

It seems this is also the case when you have the option Mute on entry set as well.

Here's my dilemma.

I have just muted one participant who muted himself because he's having a shouting match with the kids and there is another shouting with frustration into their microphone shouting to me "UNMUTE ME I CAN'T TALK" because I had earlier muted this person.

I have disabled chat andQ&A because I want my participants to talk to me.

HOW ON EARTH DO I TELL WHICH OF THE MUTED PARTICIPANTS HAS MUTED THEMSELVES, AND WHICH ARE MUTED BY ME (OR THE SYSTEM)?

All I see is a bunch of Red microphones

I don’t want to unmute all (because the person having the barney with his kids would be embarrassed) and I don't know which people have chosen to mute themselves and which are frustrated at being muted.

What do I have to click on to see who is self-muted and who is system-muted?

Hope someone can help. This is soooooo much easier in other applicatons - even Webex Meetings or Teams is better.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
2 Replies 2

Cole Callahan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Currently, Webex Training doesn't allow you to tell who muted themselves. 

One thing I suggest would be using the Raise Hand tool. At the start of your training session, mention to attendees that they can click on the Raise Hand Button if they have a question. Then, you are able to unmute those who raise their hand.

Sorry if this doesn't fully answer your question, but I hope this helps! :)

Response Signature

Hi @Cole Callahan ,

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

Currently, Webex Training doesn't allow you to tell who muted themselves. 

Your answer is helpful, and I appreciate your time, and for two days I have indeed being encouraging others to use the hand tool to get my attention.

However, not even this feature is available on all platforms (https://help.webex.com/en-us/n0rqd8g/Cisco-Webex-Web-App-Known-Issues-and-Limitations)

But I'm afraid "doesn't allow" simply highlights one of numerous inadequacies of this application, it is not a solution. It is a design flaw that should have been addressed years ago.  The ability for an Instructor to be able to mute all participants and remove their ability to un-mute themselves is a worthy feature, but it should be implemented in useful way.  I remember this being a frustration of presenters when I first used this product in 2009 - eleven years later and no-one has bothered to fix it.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.