cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating access points between controllers on different software levels

gegaffney
Level 1
Level 1

I need to migrate lightweight access points from one pair of controllers (WS2750Gs running 4.2.112.0 software) to a new pair (5508s running 7.0.116.0). I see that upgrading the controllers would require an intermediate step so I am wondering if there is any potential issues in migrating the LWAPPs from one controller to the other? I also need to develop a backout plan so I also need to understand any impact if I were to back out the change.  

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What model access points do you have, for starters?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Access points are mainly 1131AG-A-K9s  with a few 1131AG-E-K9s

Ok good. If you had 1000 series or older 1220B you would have to swap them out.

1. Make sure you have the country codes marked on the new WLCs to support your mix of aps

2. As you push the APs to the new controller there will be an upgrade and reboot so the APs will go off line

3. Make sure after the upgrade you remove the older WLCs or upgrade it to the new code as well. You dont want mixed code controllers

4. I would test a section on the new WLC to make sure your security and other settings are good

5. RRM is much imrpoved from 4.2 to 7.x. Just something to consider. If you are using RRM and you have holes where you didnt before

6. make sure you turn off client load balance

As for a backout plan. You can always push the clients back to the old WLC in case there is issues.

just my 2 pennys ... and good luck to you !

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: