Views
Helpful
Replies

vLAN IP issues WLC interface

JoelDarbro50834
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I've been working on setting up a 2504 WLC to operate a mesh of 1522 APs.

I have the components talking to each other. My trouble is when setting up a new interface to support an SSID on the AP. My router is 192.168.0.1 it is acting as the DHCP. I have the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

When I try to create an vLAN 10 interface in that IP range say 192.168.0.100 with a gateway of 192.168.0.1  I get an IP conflict error. I can create an interface using a different network for the vLAN 10.10.0.100 then it will let me create the vLAN and the AP will let clients join. But there is no internet access.

I guess I'm not understanding the use of IP addresses and vLANs. I know this is a basic knowledge item I'm just not understanding. I have come quite a ways in getting the system up and running with your help though.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The basic setting is have a management interface that has an IP address and vlan id. If you create another interface, that interface can’t overlap with the management or any other dynamic interface created. If you want to map an ssid to the management interface, you can and don’t have to create a new interface as you already have that defined.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The basic setting is have a management interface that has an IP address and vlan id. If you create another interface, that interface can’t overlap with the management or any other dynamic interface created. If you want to map an ssid to the management interface, you can and don’t have to create a new interface as you already have that defined.
-Scott

Thanks Scott

i kept seeing all the examples state that each wlan needed its own interface.

i will reconfigure per your advice. I need to do some more reading on IP addressing.

ThanksJoel

Yes that is true except if you want to map one of your wlan’s to the management interface.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card