Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless AP

ayosizzle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Help is required urgently. I need to clarify on recommendations of what type of access point can be used for an office. the layout of the office is thus:

we have about 10 rooms in a hallway separated by walls with 5 offices on each side. i was suggesting the aironet 1140 series but i am concerned about the coverage and the number i would propose for each hallway. The organization is made up of about 7 floors with each office topology as stated above. The proposed network is a mixture of both wired and wireless and its basically used for getting connection to the internet.help pls

DJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DJ,

The 1142 would work fine, no matter what AP you used the walls could cause an issue. As for the options you have, are you looking to go with IOS AP or with CUWN?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DJ,

The 1142 would work fine, no matter what AP you used the walls could cause an issue. As for the options you have, are you looking to go with IOS AP or with CUWN?

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well for the clients cost is a huge issue. Although i feel the Cisco Unified Wireless network would be the best option, i think they would prefer to go with the IOS AP since there exists a wired network and wireless is just a fall back. But am thinking of the coverage, how many offices would be the signal strength of the 1142 reach before signal is lost and by best practice how manay APs should be deployed by floor of the building?

regards,

DJ

DJ,

Ill piggy back on Steve's response. Most folks use the sq foot rule.

2,500 sq feet per voice grade design

6,000 sq feet per data grade design

So take your sq feet and divide accordingly.

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

further, I would recommend you get a site survey done. Hallways and walls will change the coverage pattern of the AP, depending on what the materials used to build the walls was. It will also give you an idea of what all is in they area that could cause you issues with your wireless.

HTH,
Steve

Here is what Steve is talking about .. This is older construction.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

thanks alot for your responses steve and george! the walls are made of bricks and blocks, basical office building structure. following george, i would be required to do a measurement for each floor and do d deductions as stated i his response, cool! but do u guys have a better recommened AP to use? i chose the 1142 coz its easy to deploy and manage and the IT staffs at the client end should be able to easily manage it. I was going wt the 1260 previously but guess its not really advantageous as it ois better suited for rugged environments.

If you arent using a WLC then a 3500 with clean air is no use. The 1140 is a nice model. And for your reference that image I provided is brick / block walls. So you can see how much of an impact that has.

Please kindle rate all helpful post ..

Thanks

Thanks george, so just to clarify, the 1142 is a good model and the walls would just be a limitation right? Probably putting about 3 APs at strategic points per hallway might help the whole scenario or what do u think?

I just need a clear cut answer as to what is and what should be.

Thank you all for your swift and favorable responses.

I agree 100% with Steve. A site survey will give you your anwser to your question.

As you can see in the pics I attached hallway doesnt give great room level coverage. Are you doing voice or data?

Just data. So how do you suggest overcoming the coverage and obstruction by the walls?

Just data. So how do you suggest overcoming the coverage and obstruction by the walls?

You need a wireless site survey done.

We've got buildings that were built after WW2 and I'll tell you this:  They don't make concrete like they use to!  Bloody heck we have to result in putting an AP in each room because the walls are very tough.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card