Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a printer to a guest network

itaraday01
Level 1
Level 1

hello.

So trying to help out a family friend set up a small business network. They want to have a private wireless network and then a smaller network for guests and some employees. So I read https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3344651#3344651 and folloed it to set up my main network and guest network. Now the difference between my network and that one is they want the printer to be on both networks, The printer is currently hooked up for one of the lan ports. So just wondering how I can share the 1 port between both networks, while letting people on the main network still see all computers and those on the guest unable to see anything except the printer and internet.

cheers for any assistance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Ira,

Not sure what device's you are using but, if you're using the Cisco Small Business Series Routers, then its not possible to create ACL (access control lists) inside the router to allow this type of functionality. Again I did click on the link you provided in your post and it only specifies a WAP4410N, this device is just for providing access to wireless clients. You can set up vlan’s to segregate GUEST traffic from your MAIN traffic, but everything else will be routed at your layer 3 or router. With our device’s this scenario is the only way to make it work.

Router – any kind

Switch – SG300 Series (operation mode layer3)

Server - providing DHCP for multiple subnets.

Since the switch is In layer 3 all devices will have a default gateway of SG300, in your SG300 you will have a default route to your router.

Now the SG300 allows us to create ACL (access control lists) to allow or deny traffic from its source and to its destination. This would be the only configuration that would allow your customer to accomplish task specified.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Ira,

Not sure what device's you are using but, if you're using the Cisco Small Business Series Routers, then its not possible to create ACL (access control lists) inside the router to allow this type of functionality. Again I did click on the link you provided in your post and it only specifies a WAP4410N, this device is just for providing access to wireless clients. You can set up vlan’s to segregate GUEST traffic from your MAIN traffic, but everything else will be routed at your layer 3 or router. With our device’s this scenario is the only way to make it work.

Router – any kind

Switch – SG300 Series (operation mode layer3)

Server - providing DHCP for multiple subnets.

Since the switch is In layer 3 all devices will have a default gateway of SG300, in your SG300 you will have a default route to your router.

Now the SG300 allows us to create ACL (access control lists) to allow or deny traffic from its source and to its destination. This would be the only configuration that would allow your customer to accomplish task specified.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan