cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Budget hotel free wifi setup

icbmDigital
Level 1
Level 1

Hey people, I'm a web developer, and a client of mine who owns and runs a budget 3 level 40 room motel is wanting me to look into fitting free (or managed if easy) wifi to all areas of this hotel.

OK, i know i will need to do a site survey, and I'll need to do it with one of the access points I am expecting to be installing.

The question I have is, i would like an idea of industry standard equipment required for this type of set up.

Currently they have an ADSL connection at the reception. What extra equipment will i need or is it as simple as piggy backing access points from the reception connection?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in setting up wireless hotspots but would like to hear from those in the industry.

Kind regards,

David Auld

david@icbm.com.au

1 Reply 1

masterjsm
Level 1
Level 1

David,

I have done it with a 200 room days inn and a 165 room best western where I work. I used wap321 access points which work good with the exception of the captive portal which you will need to have the guest read and accept a user agreement. this will help protect the company. Now that being said, there is a problem with the wap321's and the problem has not been addressed by cisco as of yet. Look at the links for the wap321 captive portal. The last thing you want is to setup something and have it not work properly. You then look like a fool and it doesn't look like they are on the ball helping us. Anyway I can give you another manufacturer of access point that works well, and is a bit cheaper if you want to steer away from cisco products. Anyway not sure how much you would like to know about a hotel setup but i can help you if you need it.

Jeff