cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Linksys WRVS4400 QuickVPN and Windows 7

macbeck22
Level 1
Level 1

I own a Linksys WRVS4400 and have used it for sometime with the QuickVPN client.  I have now added two computers running Windows 7, a 32bit and 64bit version.  I am running the latest versions of firmware and QuickVPN software but can not get it to connect in Windows7.  The software will load but hangs at "Verifying Network" before it times out.  I realize that I am not the only person with this issue and am a little concerned that Cisco does not offer a version that is Windows 7 compatible.  This is a critical issue and may cause me to investigate other hardware options. 

Is it possible to use a third party client to connect to the router though QuickVPN?  Is there possibly a beta version of a new Cisco client that may work with Windows 7?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

54 Replies 54

Most definitely go with Version 2. Newer Hardware and better performance.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Small Business Support Center Network Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Well this is what I've found so far.

I have 2 PC's with Windows 7 one with Ultimate and the other Home.

The Ultimate PC Connects to the router (ver2.0.8) with the lates Quickvpn software just fine.

The Other Will time out and give the Gateway not responding error...

What I can see diferent is that the PC (Ultimate) that connects fine. when the QuickVPN software is going through its pases and show a popup stating "Activating Policy" a new policy is created in the Windows Firewall under "Advanced/Connection Security Rules" named "IPsec_Tunnel" and the PC that will not connect this rule is not created.

Maybe this can guie someone to solve this.

imantspetrovs
Level 1
Level 1

I also had similar problem with quickvpn version 1.4.1.2. I solved it in such way: for application I checked in "Run this programm in compatibility mode" and set "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"

abclaboratories
Level 1
Level 1

Just want to confirm that quickvpn version 1.4.1.2 does work with Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I do not need to set it to run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility. Latest QuickVPN 1.4.2.1 always gives me "Remote Security Gateway is not responding" issue.

I am also having the same issue. I have the latest firmware on my WRV4400N and have tried both 1.4.1.2 and 1.4.2.1 vpn clients on both win 7 ent 64, win 7ent 32, and win 7pro 32 and I cannot get it to work on any of them. My firewall is turned on and IPsec and IKE services are started

I have also tried running them in vista sp2 and xp sp3  compatability mode but this also didn't work.

I have tested on a xp sp3 station and it connected without any issues so I know my isp, and remote network is not blocking any needed ports.

Any help on resolving this issue would be great as I ordered this router specifically for the VPN use.

Thanks

Hi Damian,

Is there a period "." in the user name? I found that QuickVPN could not establish a connection if there was a period "." in the user name. Once I removed it, I was able to make a connection.

This issue didn't exist on XP SP3.

Thanks for the quick response.  I do not have any . or special characters in  any of the vpn account user names or passwords.

I have also tried connecting with IP and DNS and still the same issue.

here is what my wget request error file says

Connecting to ************.dyndns.org[70.**.**.**]:60443... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

End of file while parsing headers.

Giving up.

the other two wget have

Connecting to 70.**.**.**:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified

0K                                                         173.83 KB/s

I have the same problem. I can't connect to the router. What I found is that I can connect from a system with Windows 7 32 bits but I can't do it with Windows 7 64 bits. Any ideas?

Hello Everybody!

I found a solution to the problem with WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL 64 BITS.

1) Be sure that the WINDOWS FIREWALL is enabled and working (IPSec doesn't work if Windows Firewall is not enabled)

2) Go to WINDOWS FIREWALL (CONTROL PANEL -> SYSTEM AND SECURITY) and select ALLOW A PROGRAM OR FEATURE THROUGH WINDOWS FIREWALL;  Click on CHANGE SETTINGS and then CLICK on ALLOW ANOTHER PROGRAM... ; then select QUICKVPN.

3) Go to WINDOWS FIREWALL AND ADVANCE SECURITY, then select INBOUND RULES; you will see four entries fro QUICKVPN. BE SURE THAT THEY ARE ALL ENABLED.

DONE!

It worked for me.

Good luck!

Gustavo

I have checked my firewall rules and it does exist allowing it on on networks but I can still not connect.

I can trick it to connect by editing the vpnserver.conf file remote server ip to localhost then make the file read only. This way it pings me instead of the remote gateway during the verifying network process then gets a connection  but unfortunatly I can still not connect to my network drives after doing this .