cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients of WAP4410n have strong wireless connections, but no or only intermittent Internet access

kroberts2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've searched these forums (it seems) exhaustively and found no answer to my particular issue.  The following configuration was functioning beautifully until I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to update the firmware on my RVS4000 and WAP4410n.  My wireless network has been dodgy ever since.

Here's a quick rundown of network configuration, and then I'll explain my problem:

Cable Modem

15Mbps downstream

1Mbps upstream

Connected to WAN port on:  

RVS4000 4-port gigabit router

FW 1.3.3.6 (latest from Cisco)

LAN IP set to 192.168.1.1

DHCP server controlling 192.168.1.100-149

Static IPs set for:

Desktop PC - (192.168.1.200)

RT31P2 (192.168.1.201)

Printer Server (192.168.1.150)

WAP4410n - (192.168.1.245)

QOS Enabled:

• Priority "High" for all upstream/downstream UDP packets on ports 5060-5090 and 10000-65535
  • Intended to give priority to any VOIP related traffic
LAN Ports connected to [device]: 

LAN Port 1

Desktop PC - static IP at 192.168.1.201

LAN Port 2

RT31P2 - router with VOIP telephone adapter and 3-port LAN switch

- static IP at 192.168.1.201

NAT/DHCP disabled

Connected to RVS4000 via LAN port 1 (not WAN port)

Ports connected to [device]:

Analog Telephone Adapter - 2 lines

LAN Port 2

Printer Server - static IP at 192.168.1.150

LAN Port 3

Jumper connecting back to WAN port on RT31P2 to enable telephone adapter

LAN Port 3

Other (not relevant to this discussion - all IPs assigned by DHCP from RVS4000, all functioning well)

LAN Port 4

WAP4410n v01 WiFi Access Point - static IP at 192.168.1.245

FW 2.0.7.4 (latest from Cisco)

N-standard WiFi connections to [device]: (all IPs are DHCP from RVS4000)

Laptop

Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN wireless adapter - driver v14.3.2.1 (latest from Intel)

iPhones, etc.

Note the "funky" connection from the RVS4000 to bypass the WAN side of the RT31P2 (to allow RT31P2's LAN ports to function on same network as other devices on the RVS4000's network - i.e., my printer server).  Also note the jumper from the RT31P2 LAN ports to its WAN port: as I understand it, the RT31P2 is essentially two "boxes" behind one WAN port - i.e., the "3-port switch box" and the "2-line VOIP telephone adapter box" are each connected to the WAN port but can't talk to one another.  As a result, a LAN switch port has to feed traffic to the WAN port for telephone traffic to reach the telephone adapter ports.  Make sense?

OK, here's the problem:

• Whenever the jumper between RT31P2's WAN port and LAN port 3 is in place, my VOIP phones work but the wireless clients of the WAP4410n cannot get an Internet connection, and if they do it is only for a short time period and after a significant wait.  Strong wireless connections are in-place for each device, and each device is able to communicate with the WAP4410n at 50-150Mbps.  Other symptoms include: From Laptop, I can't ping or do an NSLOOKUP to a DNS server.  Curiously, our iPhones seem to be a bit more resilient than my Laptop, but even their performance is slow and dodgy.
  • Note that all devices connected via wired Ethernet connections are completely unaffected.
  • However, whenever I unplug the jumper between the RT31P2's WAN port and LAN port 3 (meaning the telephone adapter no longer can receive traffic), all devices connected to the WAP4410n via WiFi work beautifully every time, all the time.
  • At this time, I'm also testing whether the instability may be related to my QOS priority settings on the RVS4000 intended to foster as high VOIP call quality as possible.  I disabled the settings and rebooted the RVS4000, which had no effect on the issue.  However, now that I've totally removed the QOS priority settings and rebooted, it seems that things are working ... but who knows how long that will last.

Can someone out there point me in the right direction to fix this, if indeed it is possible to fix?  I'm no networking expert by any stretch of the imagination, and I've poured two weeks into troubleshooting this just to figure out where the problem is.  I would LOVE to not have to choose between having a working phone system and having functioning WiFi access to the Internet on our mobile devices.  Any insight you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

2 Replies 2

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Kevin,

A normal topology would look like:

RVS4000-> RT31P2 (WAN port)-> 3 LAN devices if necessary

Doing the loop from LAN to WAN is not a good idea. If you need more ports on the LAN, add an inexpensive unmanaged switch to the RVS4000 and plug the RT31P2 and other devices into the switch to keep everything on the same network. (Do not use the LAN ports on the RT31P2 at all)

Please reply if you have any questions.

- Marty

Marty,

Thanks for your reply. What you say aligns with what Dean Aquilina of Cisco is also telling me. Perhaps the wonder is that my LAN to WAN short ever worked at all. Clearly, the new firmware is forcing me to clean up my sloppy architecture. Looks like I need to get a small switch so that I can replace the ports I need to stop using on the RT31P2 device. 

Again, thanks for your helpful direction. 

Kevin